• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Use of home as office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UC don't do it anymore

If you work through an umbrella company (i.e. you don’t run a business), then you can hardly claim expenses for running a business from your home.

Sounds like you were using a very dodgy umbrella.

Comment

Employee Expenses

I don't think that there's anything "grey" about this at all, at least as far as employees of their own company are concerned.

Employees can only claim the cost of using a room as an office if the employee performs "substantive" duties of employment there i.e. NOT the company books and its the ONLY place he/she could do the work.

www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM32795.htm has a good commentary about the whole thing.

Those who are genuinely self-employed - not through a company - have more leeway on what can be claimed.

Comment

Working...
      X