• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing foreign travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    Thanks, that's what I thought.

As for the trip duration, I intend to go a 2 or 3 days before the exam, study whilst there and return straight after the exam - does that sound ok, or is that excessive?

thanks
    What time is the exam? If it's a morning exam, I'd fly over the night before and then home after the exam. If it's not then fly over that morning and home the following day.

Anything else would look like taking the piss to me - it's not as if you can claim that you need time to recover from the time change or anything like that. If you'd had to take the exam in India, you could have had a week on the beach beforehand to get used to the time change and climate change - plan better next time

Comment

I think the OP has the answer he likes and us going to ignore the one he doesn't so we won't see him again on this thread.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
          Thanks, that's what I thought.

As for the trip duration, I intend to go a 2 or 3 days before the exam, study whilst there and return straight after the exam - does that sound ok, or is that excessive?

thanks
          The travel is still deductible. The accommodation for days when you don't HAVE to be there are not. It's accepted by HMRC that people travelling abroad for company business may also combine that with a short holiday, although expenses for the holiday are not deductible.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim31811

So you needn't restrict yourself to being there just as long as necessary, but be careful what you deduct.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            Sounds dodgy to me this. The travel isn't wholly and exclusively for business is it? You can study from home and just fly over for the exam, staying the time you needed.

You could probably justify the hotel stay for the days you need to stay over for the exam. Not sure about the flights though, since you're taking extra time for a holiday, might be tough to argue they are wholly and exclusively for business use.
            Nope, it's fine. He doesn't even need to pretend the entire thing is necessary, as long as he doesn't try to deduct the accommodation etc of the non-essential portion.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim31811

Comment

Surely the days you are not taking the exam can be labelled 'business development' or somesuch?

Don't you guys ever take even tiny liberties with what you put through?

I'm not suggesting that you do something crazy like take you and a mate for a week in Bermuda to watch the Rugby Sevens over a weekend that just happens to be your birthday. I mean, no one in their right mind would do that!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Sure we do, but that depends on your own attitude to risk. The question is if it's allowable, the answer should be based on the rules, HMRC guidelines etc., not on if we are willing to take the risk of something ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                  Sure we do, but that depends on your own attitude to risk. The question is if it's allowable, the answer should be based on the rules, HMRC guidelines etc., not on if we are willing to take the risk of something ourselves.
                  Exactly this.
                  TBF, I strongly suspect none of the OPs expenses could be claimed according to HMRC guidelines.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Surely the days you are not taking the exam can be labelled 'business development' or somesuch?

I'm not suggesting that you do something crazy like take you and a mate for a week in Bermuda to watch the Rugby Sevens over a weekend that just happens to be your birthday. I mean, no one in their right mind would do that!
                    Yeah but I think the problem is in many situations like this one the OP hasn't a clue how it works and is just guessing and going with the answer he wants to hear. If they were open to listening and learning they could understand the situation and make risk based decision.

There is a massive gap between making risk based decisions and being greedy and stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X