• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New supercard is out (perfect for overseas purchases)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
    Not sure if it's just me, but Revolut keeps saying that they are having a problem when I try to create a new card
    I didn't have an issue adding a card onto my account.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
      I didn't have an issue adding a card onto my account.
      Support found some technical issue this morning and say they will let me know when it's fixed

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
        Support found some technical issue this morning and say they will let me know when it's fixed
        I did mine ~1 month ago. Maybe they rolled out an "enhancement" in the meantime !

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
          I did mine ~1 month ago. Maybe they rolled out an "enhancement" in the meantime !
          Possibly - I couldn't sign up for a physical or a virutal card. Will see what support say when they come back to me. Will see how the other cards work this weekend when I'm away, in which case this could all be a moot point.

Comment

Halifax Clarity is better.

Have to admit, great marketing from the Supercard team, but they failed to deliver.

Comment

I had the super card on the trial. As a wrapper for my Amex card it was terrific for use abroad. The new version is not worth bothering with.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I used my new Supercard for the first time last week on a trip taking in three European countries.

Fell at the first hurdle: wouldn't let me withdraw cash from an ATM.
                It worked fine for a couple of days after that, allowing me to use the PIN for normal POS transactions. A few days into the trip, I found that every merchant asked me to sign for the transactions instead of asking for the PIN. I don't know if this was just coincidence (POS not set up for PIN) or if something went wrong.

Having to log in to the app every time it starts up, requiring a data connection, actually makes the app pretty useless when you're abroad.

Comment

Just providing an update on my experiences with these cards...

Supercard

PIN was never accepted anywhere over the summer. First three times I used the card, it said the PIN was wrong and then locked the card. Worked fine for swipe transactions, but I had to try to explain in my stumbling French that the chip didn't work properly any more (I think the phrase is "le puce ne marche pas" if anyone needs it in the future!). When I came back, I rang support and they asked if I had tried to change the PIN (you can't) and that they would have to escalate it to the technical team. A month went by, no action, so I rang in - they had no record of my previous call and said that the only thing they could do would be to send out a new card. I'll try it again this weekend when I'm away and see if the PIN works on this one.

Revolut

I've had no problem with using the card overseas, or exchanging money between EUR and GBP. I've sent money to my girlfriend (another Revolut user) and had no problem with that at all.

BUT... she has had problems with getting the card verified and it's currently blocked. She hadn't verified her identity (no current passport) before I sent her money, and when I transferred a lump sum to help pay her rent they blocked it. She's now uploaded the passport picture, but they wouldn't unlock the account (which now has EUR200 on it). Support have escalated it to another team to look at, and they wanted to know why I was sending her so much money and asked all sorts of questions about it. So, mixed reception to this one - works fine for me, but not for her and at the moment the money is in limbo, neither of us can get to it, and she's had to borrow money from elsewhere to pay this month's rent.

Comment

Good feed back. I had an early Supercard, but the mk2 version is IMO not worth having.

Revolut, early days for me. I verfied myself no problem. I need to work with USD, GBP, Omani Rial (OMR) and Korean Won (KRW). So Revolut seemed a good option. I tried to top up my Revolut from my Omani account with OMR to spend in Korea as KRW. But after scanning the debit card, the authorisation fails. So, no deal. It seems I can only contact support via the smart phone app. There is no mention of OMR on the Revolut app so I asked support about it. They said that they do support OMR. But they didn't know why my Omani debit card fails authorisation. I tried to contact support again another day but got no reply so after 20 minutes I gave up. You really, really need a better way to contact support than through the app.

Now, I need to top up my Revolut with KRW to spend USD in the states but I am not sure it is going to work. So, for me, a great idea but doesn't seem to fool proof right now.

At the moment, I am relying heavily on my Halifax Clarity card, which to be honest, works great but I have to pay it off with GBP. At the moment it would be far better to go OMR > USD or KRW > USD rather than OMR/KRW > USD > GBP using the Clarity card.

If anyone knows how to use Revolut a better way, I am all ears.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

My reviews after using them in Turkey

Supercard worked everywhere except in one shop. Slightly embarrassing when buying some swimming trunks but more due to my lack of turkish and their lack of other foreign languages than anything else - we were in a city that isn't really a tourist resort.

There does seem to be a 3% or so fee for using a cashpoint - less than First Direct would have charged me though.

Monzo

Just worked when used in a cashpoint - full mastercard exchange rate no surcharge and no fee.

As soon as Monzo provide a full bank account I will be moving my personal bank account to it.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X