• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wife as a secretary or assistant or company director

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife as a secretary or assistant or company director

My wife has already got 20% in my LTD. She has recently left her job and at the moment I am considering one of the below three option:
    - company secretary
    - assistant to Managing Director (me)
    - company director

I am trying to understand the key difference between these three roles and decide which of these would be the best from legal, accounting and financial perspective the most beneficial option? Any thought?

....disclaimer: I have advised this with my accountant and they seem to be thinking that company director is the best option. However I am interested to hear other opinions.

Company Secretary means she is an officer but you are the one who makes all the decisions and has the ultimate legal responsibility if you screw up something. link

Director means she has as much legal responsibility over the company as you. If you do a short contract abroad it sometimes helps to have another director as you can easily argue that your business is based in the UK. link

Assistant to managing director means she is just an employee.

What one to choose? It's up to you.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 9 June 2016, 13:50.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What's the long term plan for your wife? Is she going to go back to work or not. You shouldn't be changing your structure just to suit breaks inbetween work.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What's the long term plan for your wife? Is she going to go back to work or not. You shouldn't be changing your structure just to suit breaks inbetween work.
        Somebody can be an officer of a company, company secretary or director, and have another job. However in those cases they don't end up on the pay roll though they are entitled to expenses for company business.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Somebody can be an officer of a company, company secretary or director, and have another job. However in those cases they don't end up on the pay roll though they are entitled to expenses for company business.
          Yeah. I was just a bit nervous when he says he 'already' has. I assumed he might be changing the shareholding to make use of her unused tax allowance and then swap the shareholding back if she was going to work again.

Comment

Regardless of her employment situation, she should at least be a company officer (Co. Sec. is fine) so if you ever close the company down in the future and have any significant level of reserved profits, she'll be eligible* for entrepreneurs relief on her 20% share. Otherwise she could face a hefty CGT bill if 20% of the remaining profit is worth a decent amount and she's a higher rate tax payer (it will also save tax if she's a basic rate payer).

That aside, what do you actually want to accomplish? Do you want to pay her a salary of some description?

You could:

* Make her director or company secretary - many people agree that this in itself entitles her to some form of basic salary. What you define as basic is a conversation for between you and your accountant - I'm sure many people pay their spouses up to the personal tax allowance even if they do no other work but that doesn't mean HMRC would like it. If she's a company officer, IMO they'd struggle to argue against such a relatively small salary but speak to your accountant.

* You could make her an employee, or make her a company officer with an extended administrative role that may justify paying her a higher salary.

Things to bear in mind is that if she has an employment contract, then you may need to look into dealing with pension auto-enrolment. On the plus side you should be able to claim the employers NI allowance.

[*] assuming the government hasn't completely abolished or heavily restricted ER by that point...who knows!

Comment

If you're putting her on the payroll but not as a company officer (director or co sec) you'll also need to consider auto-enrolment legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                If you're putting her on the payroll but not as a company officer (director or co sec) you'll also need to consider auto-enrolment legislation.
                Unlikely to be a massive problem based on the salary for an assistant...

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
                  Unlikely to be a massive problem based on the salary for an assistant...
                  My assistant get's every penny I earn

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    My assistant get's every penny I earn
                    Have you thought of offshoring
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X