• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can I invest my money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CompulsiveArsonist View Post
    I know you are joking but I don't see why this couldn't be viable, set up a new Ltd company with 5 shareholders specifically for this, 20% each. Each contractor lends money from their contracting ltd co (e.g. £200k) to this new company as an inter-company loan. Buy a suitable site and develop it, sell the completed development and liquidate the company, redistribute profits and repay back the loan to your contracting ltd co.

Yes there is capital gains tax to pay, but if the money is sitting around doing nothing you will at least get some return on it.

Disclaimer, I am not an accountant
    I'm not joking, I agree it's a viable business. But seriously, can I borrow some money to buy in

Comment

Originally posted by CompulsiveArsonist View Post
      I know you are joking but I don't see why this couldn't be viable, set up a new Ltd company with 5 shareholders specifically for this, 20% each. Each contractor lends money from their contracting ltd co (e.g. £200k) to this new company as an inter-company loan. Buy a suitable site and develop it, sell the completed development and liquidate the company, redistribute profits and repay back the loan to your contracting ltd co.

Yes there is capital gains tax to pay, but if the money is sitting around doing nothing you will at least get some return on it.

Disclaimer, I am not an accountant
      I am looking at commercial too. It doesn't attract the SLDT surcharge and there are planning regulations that make it easier to convert certain commercial buildings (offices mainly) into residential.

Money is not the problem; the challenge is time and experience. I would happily JV with someone but have a strong preference for that someone to have experience in commercial conversions and to have a power team ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
        I'm not joking, I agree it's a viable business. But seriously, can I borrow some money to buy in
        I have two small investments, one is an investment in a medical supplies (e.g. bandages etc.) distribution company in Pakistan, they have a territorial monopoly in the region that they operate in and the return on that is approx 20% per year. The other is a very small share (5%) in a commercial office to residential building conversion in South London. I invested in these with my own (not company) money and I did it through family members so I have a small amount of faith in not being ripped off.

Disclaimer, I am by no means a wealthy or savvy investor

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          I am looking at commercial too. It doesn't attract the SLDT surcharge and there are planning regulations that make it easier to convert certain commercial buildings (offices mainly) into residential.

Money is not the problem; the challenge is time and experience. I would happily JV with someone but have a strong preference for that someone to have experience in commercial conversions and to have a power team ready to go.
          ChimpMaster are you happy for me to PM you?

Comment

Free investment advice from WIB:

If you are considering a joint investment with a compulsive arsonist, avoid real estate.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              Free investment advice from WIB:

If you are considering a joint investment with a compulsive arsonist, avoid real estate.
              True, the word compulsive suggests it's a little more than a hobby
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If you have so little idea what to do you would be much safer getting a pension and getting a couple of Aldermore high interest accounts instead.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  True, the word compulsive suggests it's a little more than a hobby
                  A wise man once said

"Give a man fire, keep him warm for a day...
                  Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

On a more serious note, another investment idea I was looking at is private hire car rental.

Buy a used Toyota Prius (let's say £15k) get a PCO licence on it and hire it out for £200-£300 per week to minicab drivers.

There is the hassle of maintaining it and you can only use the car up to a certain age (10 years old) but if you have some spare cash and some free time it might be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by ajouve View Post
                      Hi !

I am getting the minimum salary each month £671.67 and I already reach the Higher rate (32.5%) on dividend.

I know nothing about investment, do you have any advice ?

I'd like to have a pension but I can't really find informations or good offers about that

Thanks

Antoine

Speak to an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA) to get an idea of the options available to you (especially in relation to pensions). Any decent IFA will offer a free introductory meeting to go through some basics with you.

Comment

Working...
                      X