• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule again!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month rule again!

Still confuses me.... I thought all you did was go back 24 months from today and take that into consideration. BUT apparently its not that easy....

Current gig in city A - current extension will take me to 18 months, next one to 21 months. I assumed next extension will be last one that I'll be able to pay expenses. The one after that would, actually take me over 24 months by a week so I'd have to stop as soon as that extension was offered.

Previous gig was in City B (8 months). Nowhere near city A.

Gig before that was in city A (actually about 15 mins walk from where I am now) - 3 months

Does this previous gig affect things at all?
    Last edited by psychocandy; 11 May 2016, 21:00.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Depends on how long the gig in City B lasted... Should had been at least 15 months for the previous gig in City A not to be an issue?

I have a similar problem recently... I thought a 9 month break was enough... and it wasn't So had to repay some money and stop claiming.
    Last edited by dx4100; 11 May 2016, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
      Depends on how long the gig in City B lasted... Should had been at least 12 months for the previous gig in City A not to be an issue?

I have a similar problem recently... I thought a 9 month break was enough... and it wasn't So had to repay some money and stop claiming.
      Corrected. 8 months. I have a bad feeling :-(
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Still confuses me.... I thought all you did was go back 24 months from today and take that into consideration. BUT apparently its not that easy....

Current gig in city A - current extension will take me to 18 months, next one to 21 months. I assumed next extension will be last one that I'll be able to pay expenses. The one after that would, actually take me over 24 months by a week so I'd have to stop as soon as that extension was offered.

Previous gig was in City B. Nowhere near city A.

Gig before that was in city A (actually about 15 mins walk from where I am now).

Does this previous gig affect things at all?
        Negotiate that one to finish a day before the 24 months, I did at a previous place so was able to claim right up to the line (I did turn down the next extension which would have taken me over as I'd had enough of the killer commute by then )

Comment

Depends on how long the gig in City B lasted... Should had been at least 15 months for the previous gig in City A not to be an issue?

Who told you that?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Corrected. 8 months. I have a bad feeling :-(
            I have corrected my advice as well...

You in fact need a 15 month break for it not to be an issue. I just double checked the email from my accountant.

Comment

I thought a 9 month break was enough... and it wasn't So had to repay some money and stop claiming.
              said who? your accountant?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                Who told you that?
                My accountant. Just checked the email.

Comment

I am going to furious if that advice was wrong....

Comment

My accountant. Just checked the email.
                    What did he cite to back up that claim,seems over cautious to me...

Comment

Working...
                    X