• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it me, my accountant or my Ltd company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Maybe th OP needs to hire in a bookkeeper for a couple of hours a month. Give them receipts, invoices etc. Anyone ever done this?
    Yeah. She also does payroll, billing, pays other expenses, reviews contracts, signs company accounts, etc. I even gave her half my shares and put her on the board of directors.

And that's just the services I pay for -- the others aren't company-related.

Comment

Thanks all.

Its me! It definitely is!

I think my 'current' issue is that my 'Crunch' is a mess, out of date etc. It looks horrendous.

I need to get it up to scratch and then keep on top of it.

My previous accountant was old skool - "Just spend your money and then we'll sort it out at the end of the year" is something I remember hearing from him, and I've never quite got that out of my mind!

Don't get me wrong, I've always paid my VAT and Corp Tax, but I'm just not in the position where I should be; i.e. in perfect control of my and my companies money!

Comment

Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
        Thanks all.

I think my 'current' issue is that my 'Crunch' is a mess, out of date etc. It looks horrendous.

My previous accountant was old skool - "Just spend your money and then we'll sort it out at the end of the year" is something I remember hearing from him, and I've never quite got that out of my mind!

Don't get me wrong, I've always paid my VAT and Corp Tax, but I'm just not in the position where I should be; i.e. in perfect control of my and my companies money!
        If you want to transfer it to me I am happy to "look after it" for you

Comment

Find a local account, one who can answer your "daft" questions. Why should a successful builder or shopkeeper also be able to easily grasp accounting? With a decent local accountant you hire the help you need. But don't expect free dashboards and cloud thingies and spreadsheets. In fact you'll be glad when you say goodbye to all that. But a local person will inevitable be a lot more expensive.

You pays yer money ...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Find a local account, one who can answer your "daft" questions. Why should a successful builder or shopkeeper also be able to easily grasp accounting? With a decent local accountant you hire the help you need. But don't expect free dashboards and cloud thingies and spreadsheets. In fact you'll be glad when you say goodbye to all that. But a local person will inevitable be a lot more expensive.

You pays yer money ...
            Surely he's better with a contractor accountant than a local one?

That said, someone like SJD has a network of offices so, for good or bad, they may be the ideal one to get him up and running as he should be. Yes, they cost a bit more than others, but it sounds like he needs the facility to be able to go in and have a chat with experienced contractor accountants rather than simply have a web-based solution that others are fine with.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
              Thanks all.

Wow, what incredibly stupid advice you were given.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Wow, what incredibly stupid advice you were given.
                It is but I've met a couple of contractors doing exactly this, house extension through the company, company cars but no BiK etc. Sadly there is no come back so they think everything is OK. Some non contractor accountants think this is OK but I just dont think we can get away with it like a medium sized company can.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  house extension through the company, company cars but no BiK etc. there is no come back so they think everything is OK
                  I sometimes wonder if I'm the mug, trying to play a straight bat. I heard (from the bookkeeper) of a local company that puts expensive family holidays through the books whereas I fret even thinking about putting a telly though as a Display Solution.

Maybe I too should switch accountants

Comment

Working...
                  X