• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Notice Contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no solly...

not me...Ive only just got to england (as of Jan). I assume this other chap was articulate like me?

Mailman

Comment

Re: no solly...

:lol

Comment

Re: no solly...

Hmmm..

certainly he is very close to the record set by Milan for bulltulip/sec

Comment

if that means...

expecting a small amount of respect when reply to posts...then yes...Im the biggst bulltulipter you will ever meet!

[sits here watching the bs meter rise another notch ]

Mailman

Comment

ooooh.

:rollin

You have a choice, either you get shafted or someone else does. I guess you are the type who prefers to be shafted.....but that's all about personal choice. Does your missus have a strap-on? Assuming you have a missus.....

But, let's not carry on being juvenile here. Sorry we are not holier than though, but hey I have been ripped off by a mechanic, I have been to a restuarant where the food was bad, service is generally bad. The client pays you, what else do you owe them? Blood?

I would say my attitude is very professional, I have never had any complaints from clients, my CV is full of international blue-chips clients, each new role has always seen the hourly rate revised upwards, so darn, I must be doing summik right.

Maybe that is why I have a positive chirpiness about me, and you seem to be a grumpy old man!

See ya, wooden wanna be ya!
            :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :

Comment

Re: shafted

jmiom2004,

The point is, that some of us don't regard the option of a contract that doesn't allow the possibility of giving notice as "being shafted". It is just one of a number of terms that are open to negotiation (or not) and being prepared to complete what you were asked to do at the interview is the 'professional' thing to do.

Personally, when asked to agree to a "no notice" clause I ask for a description of the work to be added to the contract matching that which was agreed at the interview, sorry sales presentation, because I'm not prepared to be just a 'body'. If this were done I'd be happy to sign, but you'll not be suprised to hear that every time I have done this the "must have" requirement of no notice disappears, draw your own conclusions.

Tim

Comment

re

And outside of all the above frivolity, let's not forget IR35. Deemed employment and all that.

Not only do I agree with Martin, I look for and request contracts whereby I can be removed summarily and where I don't have a notice period on my side.

I will however ask for 3 month contracts as opposed to 6 or 12 month ones because that is where your negotiation break lies. Hopefully by the time of each contract start you have negotiated for your needs for the following three months.

Concerning "getting shafted", if you're doing a good job, then you should be close enough to where it's happening to get an idea of how long everything is going to last. No way would I want a client "looking" for work for me - a definite IR35 no-no.

Sounds like the guy above wants a permie job.

Comment

You miss the point

I certainly do not want to be a permie, the fact is I have been offered another contract paying 50% more than the pitence I am currently being getting so should I honour the 2 remaining weeks my current contract and lose 6 months work in a very difficult marketplace? Or should I leave a week early burning my bridges with the current low paying client and commit to 6 months well paid work? If you read the question properly I was looking for more advice on where I stand legally if I just pack it in rather than the moral issue.

Comment

Re: You miss the point

Sad to say its everyone for themselves sometimes in business. I would try and finish the contract, but be under no illusion many clients would have no cumpunction about screwing you.

However are there ways round the problem?

Can you send a substitute?
                    Can you do the rest of the contract part time / compress it? (work weekends and evenings to finish the work and leave a week or so early?

Comment

negotiated to leave a week early

Thanks to all those who responded helpfully. I managed to negotiate starting my new position a week late and finishing my current contract a week early. It means I spend another week on pathetic money but there is light at the end of the tunnel. On another not has anyone ever thought of setting up a proffessional body for IT contractors? Other trades people have it, plumbers, electritians, joiners etc. Then perhaps we could curb the way rates have fallen so dramatically within the industry. I don't know many plumbers that would work for £20 an hour these days!

Comment

Working...
                      X