• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming accomodation Mon-Fri, live permanently with parents 300 miles away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm very surprised at that. This article seems to suggest otherwise.
    No it doesn't... It only says you need to pay if you stay for the weekend.

Lots of companies rent houses for employees midweek use only.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 23 December 2017, 19:46.

Comment

I'm very surprised at that. This article seems to suggest otherwise.

I don't see where that article suggests otherwise. It says this:

"If you work five days a week from there, and then decide to spend the weekend anyway, take five out seven days' worth of expenses off your taxes."

Which means if you stay in it, you need to make the adjustment. It also says:

"Your situation is in no way different from that of an employee who is working away from home; in this case, the employer company would pay for a place for the employee to stay, and then deduct the cost as an expense from its own taxes."

So if I worked for a larger firm, they would just deduct the full amount and I wouldn't pay BIK as I'm not using it. This is no different.
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 23 December 2017, 19:46.

Comment

I read that 'spend the weekend away' meant away from the rented property which would contradicts inTouches comment about claiming full cost if you go back home.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
          The alternative for me is to stay in a hotel, which round here would cost much more, and pay out more for takeaways and restaurant meals. I estimate I'm saving my business a couple of hundred a week by doing this. I'm also therefore increasing the amount of corporation tax I'd pay.
          That pragmatic view would be far too joined up for HMRC

Hotel is subsistence, room or similar is accommodation provided to an employee.

Totally different rules. Stupid, but that's the case.

Comment

I read that 'spend the weekend away' meant away from the rented property which would contradicts inTouches comment about claiming full cost if you go back home.
            It doesn't say that though.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              That pragmatic view would be far too joined up for HMRC

Hotel is subsistence, room or similar is accommodation provided to an employee.

Totally different rules. Stupid, but that's the case.
              Nah, it all goes down as "accommodation and meals" in freeagent.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                It doesn't say that though.
                Feck me. So it doesn't. I must have read that a dozen times as well. I blame CUKing on a smart phone
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Feck me. So it doesn't. I must have read that a dozen times as well. I blame CUKing on a smart phone
                  Doesn't matter how smart the phone is.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                    When I had previously obtained accommodation I put some through as BIK. This was after an enquiry. HMIT was happy with that.

I question, however, when living with parents whether it would be allowable at all. Your parents is not your household.

THe question is whether the rented accommodation is the only home. HMIT may want to make that argument.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...480__2016_.pdf

Thanks all for the replies,

I'm not too concerned with 5 or 7 days, actually I am happy to claim 5 if it keeps HMRC somewhat happy as the difference is not significant.

I think the quote is the main point, as far as I'm concerned my parents is my primary residence, home office there, all bills, banking, insurance based at that place and there is literally nothing going to the midweek place and there's no office space etc there.

I see your point about it not being my household, but if I am only elsewhere 5 out of 7 days purely for work then where is my household?

I have read you can declare your primary residence in writing to HMRC, would this make a difference ?

Hopefully someone might have been in this exact situation and might notice this reply...

cheers

Comment

bump - I've searched and found a couple of older threads but they didn't say what happened next...

Comment

Working...
                      X