• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accounting software vs not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounting software vs not

So I'm changing from wretched Crunch to a firm who I believe will offer me a more personal and proactive service. Hopefully. That's the plan anyway!

They have offered their services with or without software (in the shape of Kashflow).

I've played around with the demo product and it looks OK.. Same tulip as Crunch.. In fact better because it supports Santander bank feeds, which Crunch doesn't, which rendered bank reconciliation a nightmare.

But my question is - do you find it preferable to self serve your accounting affairs using this online type software or do you prefer the more traditional way of sending everything over to your acc every month/quarter?

Pros and cons would be helpful guys!

Thanks

I used to use the spreadsheets from SJD which I really liked. Easy to use, pretty clear but didn't do much on the calcs. Switched to an accountant using Freeagent and I love it. Autobank feeds, easy to submit stuff to HMRC, plenty of graphs, dates for submissions etc etc. I love it. Anything that gives you more control over your finances can't be a bad thing surely as long as you have the accountant in the background for questions?

Not a chance I'd go back to sending anything over. My accountant can look at my figures anytime and I get a quarterly review of my account from them proactively to boot.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm aiming to move from SJD to Crunch as I want accounting software. The spreadsheet is very outdated, both Crunch and Freeagent have additional features

Comment

How can you possibly go up tulip creek with crunch when you enter your own invoices in??
        Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

for 99% of the businesses on here how much effort would be involved in reconciling bank statements, I know I have no more than 10 credits or debits a month
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Excel vs cloud...

But what about neither.. Just send invoices, receipts and statements over to acca and let them take care of it all?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              for 99% of the businesses on here how much effort would be involved in reconciling bank statements, I know I have no more than 10 credits or debits a month
              Wow, I expense a lot of things.... Without turning this into a lecture hehe

Comment

Originally posted by zudecke View Post
                Like?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zudecke View Post
                  Then you are making more work for yourself, claim £5 for lunch, how much effort did that £1 saved cost you
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I've always liked the traditional spreadsheet-based stuff.

Means I can play around with what-if scenarios easily when looking at contracts around the country and the varying expenses involved.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X