• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do you put in your pension?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    My LtdCo pays £2K a month into a pension. I'm 52 and put nothing away during my 30s and 40s [/headinhands]
    Not just me then mind you I've had a cracking life so far

Comment

I'm impressed how much you lot are putting in - £1-2k per month!

Historically if a permie is putting in say £3k per year they DO end up with a pension at the end (plus state pension). Are you putting in much more purely because your standard of living is higher and you're used to a much higher income?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Rule of thumb from most IFA's 15% of gross salary, so include divi's in that as a contractor.

I'm currently chucking in £1600 a month through the company but only for the last 12 months, was £800 before that. Will be doing the sums on topping that up to the £40k limit before year end.

Have a couple of permie pensions as well but not huge amounts in them.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

£1000 / month here. I increased it in October from £400 / month. I'll probably look to up it again in 5 years, dependant on situation.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I'm impressed how much you lot are putting in - £1-2k per month!

Historically if a permie is putting in say £3k per year they DO end up with a pension at the end (plus state pension). Are you putting in much more purely because your standard of living is higher and you're used to a much higher income?
            Don't overlook the fact that a pot of £1 million curfently buys you an annuity of around £26k per year. Not exactly a kings ransom. In draw down, though riskjer, you can probably aceive aroynd £45k without excessive risk to capital. Food for thought.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Don't overlook the fact that a pot of £1 million curfently buys you an annuity of around £26k per year. Not exactly a kings ransom. In draw down, though riskjer, you can probably aceive aroynd £45k without excessive risk to capital. Food for thought.
              What is drawdown? You can tell I have NIL pension!

Comment

Never bothered with pensions. Overpaid the mortgage instead. Missed out on the tax relief but saved a shed load in interest over the years and happy with the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  Never bothered with pensions. Overpaid the mortgage instead. Missed out on the tax relief but saved a shed load in interest over the years and happy with the outcome.
                  And there is nothing wrong with that. A pension is just another investment tool. Some will argue you need to spread investments just in case but if you have made the relevant plans and can keep to that long term plan without dipping in etc then fair enough.

I didn't want all my eggs in one basket so have a few BTL's, overpaid the home, a bit in ISA's and 600 a month in to a pension. One thing it does do is make it difficult to know how much is enough though. As one poster said, no point being the richest person in the graveyard. That said I'm happy with my lifestyle and cutting back on the above isn't really going to make a huge difference.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    That's why the Ltd pays the pension. Leaves personal cash available for the mortgage.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by kookachoo View Post
                      What is drawdown? You can tell I have NIL pension!
                      Major clue in the name....
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X