• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upcoming quiet accounting period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upcoming quiet accounting period

Hi, I am coming to the end of my accounting period and have had turnover this year and will have monies retained in the business bank at the end of the period.
    The next accounting period is looking like it will be quiet due to the end of my contract a few weeks back. It may transpire that I don't actually invoice at all in the next period (no turnover) although I will still be working as a director and will still want to pay myself a salary again up to the personal allowance. Am I allowed to anticipate/offset the next accounting period's director's salary in this year's CT600 reporting, thus reducing this accounting period's corporation tax payable or do I have to wait for the following year and carry back a loss and reclaim. If I can do this how does this get reported in the CT600. (I do not have an accountant currently and am happy with completing CT600 except for this one point)
    thanks in advance

In short no. You cannot claim prepaid expenses for the forthcoming period in the current year. This is part of the "timing principle" in double entry accounting. Whilst possible, by means of a journal entry, it is not prudent.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Bonus Accrual

You can put in a salary/bonus accrual in the current years financial statements if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by UK Contractor Accountant View Post
        You can put in a salary/bonus accrual in the current years financial statements if you want.
        Not if, as is clear, it's for the following year.

Comment

You won't be able to accrue for salary/bonus paid in the following year however another option might be to extend the current year end. You could extend the current year end by up to a further 6 months, therefore including those future salary payments without having to accrue.

Comment

Whats wrong with changing his mind and decide to pay a bonus for the current year, draw up a board meeting minute to that effect and then just make sure that accrued bonus is paid within 9 months of the year end and passed through the payroll on RTI report.

Do it all the time, HMRC never questioned it apart from asking for sight of the signed Board Meeting Minute

Comment

Originally posted by UK Contractor Accountant View Post
              Whats wrong with changing his mind and decide to pay a bonus for the current year, draw up a board meeting minute to that effect and then just make sure that accrued bonus is paid within 9 months of the year end and passed through the payroll on RTI report.

Do it all the time, HMRC never questioned it apart from asking for sight of the signed Board Meeting Minute
              What's wrong with it is it's clearly a contrived process to reduce tax. Suggesting something then suggesting that he changes his mind ahead of time is pushing it. It's not right and just because HMRC haven't queried it doesn't make it right.

Comment

Not contrived at all - it's called tax planning.

Comment

This is gonna be good
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    This is gonna be good
                    It's Sunday. I'm not getting involved. I'll let someone else.

Comment

Working...
                    X