• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MVL and Ltd Company to Umbrella ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MVL and Ltd Company to Umbrella ?

Wrong thread. Sorry.

Comment

Any developments...

Also considering doing what the OP was suggesting. Has there been any further comments from HMRC on this?

Comment

Originally posted by MrContractor85 View Post
        Also considering doing what the OP was suggesting. Has there been any further comments from HMRC on this?
        I am also looking for clarification on this. Are there any updates on the viability of closing a Limited Company via an MVL claiming Entrepreneurs Relief and then working via an Umbrella Company instead ?

Comment

Originally posted by NickX View Post
          I am also looking for clarification on this. Are there any updates on the viability of closing a Limited Company via an MVL claiming Entrepreneurs Relief and then working via an Umbrella Company instead ?
          Thing is what are you going to do after the brolly? You are taking a contract that is still likely to end within two years and then where will you be? Brolly or not you've started in trade less than 2 years after gaining tax advantage from shutting your company surely?

It's a long shot hoping you are going to be in a gig under a brolly for 2 years, particularity when the dust hasn't really settled. Common sense may prevail and they put you back outside.. then you are screwed.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            It's a long shot hoping you are going to be in a gig under a brolly for 2 years, particularity when the dust hasn't really settled. Common sense may prevail and they put you back outside.. then you are screwed.
            Surely there are people outside the regs working under a brolly anyway - probably even claiming expenses too? If it's legit, and there's a couple of hundred k in the business, then an extra e.g. 20-30k tax over the next two years is probably fine. May be better off in a pension though.

Comment

Thing is what are you going to do after the brolly? You are taking a contract that is still likely to end within two years and then where will you be? Brolly or not you've started in trade less than 2 years after gaining tax advantage from shutting your company surely?
              I wouldn't be planning to do 2 years under the brolly - probably around 6-12 months before retiring.

Common sense may prevail and they put you back outside.. then you are screwed.
              Can you explain what you mean? Who would be putting me back outside of what exactly?

Why would I be screwed? My concern is around using the Umbrella Company meaning I would no longer qualify for Entrepreneurs Relief.

Thanks for your response.
              Last edited by NickX; 26 July 2017, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                Surely there are people outside the regs working under a brolly anyway - probably even claiming expenses too? If it's legit, and there's a couple of hundred k in the business, then an extra e.g. 20-30k tax over the next two years is probably fine. May be better off in a pension though.
                Thanks Sean, I think that is similar to my line of thought - the problem with the pension contribution is that there is a limit of £40k per annum I believe.

Comment

Ah my apologies. I was still thinking about PS issues and this clearly isn't that.

Comment

Ah my apologies. I was still thinking about PS issues and this clearly isn't that.
                    No problem, thanks for the input anyway.

Hopefully someone can provide an update on closing a Limited Company via MVL then subsequently working through an umbrella company ?

Comment

You could try ringing Chris Maslin who posted earlier and runs MVLOnline. If anyone knows surely he does. See if he's heard anything. You could try dropping him a PM with the link to this thread and he might update is tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X