• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting or Umberralla

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting or Umberralla

Hello,

I have a picked up a contract @ £150 pd, should I go for ltd or Umbrella, any advise?

Many Thanks

Originally posted by vik845 View Post
    Hello,

I have a picked up a contract @ £150 pd, should I go for ltd or Umbrella, any advise?

Many Thanks
    Have you contracted before? If no then I would go umbrella for the first few months until you get your head around everything
    Will the contract put you inside or outside IR35? If you don't know about IR35 and what it could mean then go umbrella for a couple of months while you do some research
    If you have contracted before, understand and accept the obligations that you will have as the Director of a Ltd Co and are outside IR35 then definitely go Ltd as you will be financially better off
    If you're not keen on the responsibilities that you will have as a company director then stick with umbrella as it will be less hassle for you

HTH
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

definitely umberralla

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        definitely umberralla
        Thanks for the advise
        Blood in your poo

Comment

I have done contracting before for 6 -7 months and my contract is outside ir35 checked with my accountant. I have heard that contractors will ending up paying more dividends from TAX period 2016/17 compared to 2015/16. will I still be better of contracting through ltd company?

Thanks

Comment

I have done contracting before for 6 -7 months and my contract is outside ir35 checked with my accountant. I have heard that contractors will ending up paying more dividends from TAX period 2016/17 compared to 2015/16. will I still be better of contracting through ltd company?

Thanks
            At £150/day, I wouldn't worry.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I have heard that contractors will ending up paying more dividends from TAX period 2016/17 compared to 2015/16.
              All shareholders in all companies will pay tax at a new rate if they earn more than £5000 a year in dividend income from April 2016.

That doesn't quite equate to "contractors will ending up paying more dividends" though.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The general consensus I believe is under £30k its better to be brolly. I guess that will change with the new figures so would be interesting if someone could have a look at this and see what the new number would be.

It's also not a bad idea to stick to brolly if you are either unsure about accounting and the responsibilities that come with it and not sure you will be contracting for long. Even if on paper a limited is marginally better it's a lot more hassle, you've quite a bit to learn and will undoubtedly struggle with the concepts of expenses and the like and then you've got to shut it all down. Sometimes an easy life is worth a lot more than a marginal tax benefit.

And please don't use 'advise' instead of 'advice'. It pisses me off something shocking.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

At £150 PD, would you not be better off going perm?
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    At £150 PD, would you not be better off going perm?
                    Have you seen what First Line Service Desk roles pay nowadays???
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X