• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Draw salary from my limited company when out of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You really need to understand your business, your clients and where you got in to all this better. There is no excuse for this level of understanding. You run your business not your accountant.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Your accountant stopped you getting paid?

Is it actually your mum who did her AAT in the 90's?

Income doesn;t matter, as long as you have profit in the company (i.e. enough to cover all your tax liabilities with some to spare) you can take as much or as little for as long or as short of a period as you like - until you use up all the profit.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
        Also I couldn't claim expenses anymore other than travel to do interviews.
        That sounds rubbish to me.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sounds more like you are running a MSC setup which is very bad.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Sounds more like you are running a MSC setup which is very bad.
            It is a Ltd Company as usual, I'm the only director, 100% shares, I have an accountant and they run the payroll. I've been paying myself £883.33 every month until I finished the contract and then they told me to stop paying myself salary and claiming expenses, they stopped the payroll also on their side.

I have to say they reduced their monthly charge, which is nice but...

Their words:

"We have to stop your payroll until the company don't start trading again. Please note you can't claim any expenses until the company is not active again. Travel for interviews is allowed when you are looking for the contract but other expenses can't be claimed."

Comment

That doesn't seem like good advice, or grammar to me.

If my accountant told me that, I'd be on the phone to another one looking to see how to move to them.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

But the company is active, just with no income. It couldn't be the OP has given the accountant misleading information? But still, you should know enough about what you do to challenge this.

I'd get rid of this setup as soon as possible.

Either that or pass his details to PC. Sounds like they will get on well.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 7 January 2016, 12:31.

Comment

The longest bench-time I had was 5 months....not a problem paying salary/dividends during this period as I had built up a warchest (excluding the Corp Tax & VAT Liabilities which were separately covered).

Comment

I have plenty of funds in the company to cover all the taxes and several months of salaries, and obviously I can see how not paying my salary for a few months will have an impact in my tax liabilities (corporation tax) so I'm really pissed off now after all you guys are telling me.

I will contact them asap.

Comment

trust your accountant unless your accountant is wrong...

Comment

Working...
                      X