• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decision on IR35 - when?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decision on IR35 - when?

Team

When do you think we will know the impact of IR35. I understand it will commence from next fin year, but id like to understand when you think we will get to know the final outcome. I have been offered a perm role, and need to let them know before contract ends in Jan, but if IR35 is a blood bath then i may well take the permy option (reluctantly). Any idea when they formalise the outcome?

Its all scare tactics to try to get everyone to take the perm option. HMRC get more aggressive each year.

Remember with permie you get a lot of office politic nonsense.

I would ignore HMRC.

Comment

Well according to IPSE and certain arrogant, self important arses who posted recruitment adverts for them at every opportunity IR35 is long dead and buried and hasn't required actual consideration for years. I do wonder if they will ever bother to admit how massively wrong they were and are, I somehow doubt it.

In truth we won't know the long term results for some time, we can speculate and have, since there are some reasonably clever people who are well informed odds are the speculation is likely to be fairly accurate.

Comment

I dont think its a choice to just ignore HMRC re IR35. Im not sure a lot of contractors recognise the seriousness of the changes being proposed and how fundamentally it changes the model we work in.

I really am not a fan of going permy - for a multitude of reasons, but id like to know when we will get clarity on the scope of the ir35 changes so i can make an informed decision. Any clues?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Well according to IPSE and certain arrogant, self important arses who posted recruitment adverts for them at every opportunity IR35 is long dead and buried and hasn't required actual consideration for years. I do wonder if they will ever bother to admit how massively wrong they were and are, I somehow doubt it.

In truth we won't know the long term results for some time, we can speculate and have, since there are some reasonably clever people who are well informed odds are the speculation is likely to be fairly accurate.
          Just to be clear; any arrogant, self important arses, or even nice, friendly, helpful people are not posting any in IPSE official capacity whatsoever - all opinions and views are just those of the member.

Edit: I agree it would be nice to get an official IPSE poster for the official view!
          Last edited by mudskipper; 11 August 2015, 15:27.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Just to be clear; any arrogant, self important arses, or even nice, friendly, helpful people are not posting any in IPSE official capacity whatsoever - all opinions and views are just those of the member.
            And what is the IPSE official position?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Its all scare tactics to try to get everyone to take the perm option. HMRC get more aggressive each year.

Remember with permie you get a lot of office politic nonsense.

I would ignore HMRC.
              Originally posted by blackstreet View Post
              I dont think its a choice to just ignore HMRC re IR35. Im not sure a lot of contractors recognise the seriousness of the changes being proposed and how fundamentally it changes the model we work in.

I really am not a fan of going permy - for a multitude of reasons, but id like to know when we will get clarity on the scope of the ir35 changes so i can make an informed decision. Any clues?
              So you are wanting specific advice you want to hear.

Why not create a sockie. Post the advice. Then take it on board. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Edit: I agree it would be nice to get an official IPSE poster for the official view!
                Give them a chance. They only published the reaction of the accountants from that hmrc meeting late on Friday. It will take them a while to work out what the best approach is. Which is also what they said on Friday
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

IPSE were perfectly content to allow the arrogant postings and not have an "official" poster, it was quite apparent to us all that despite protestations to the contrary that there was a measure of "official" to it. The denials were never even marginally credible.
                  If the line wasn't official then it should have been stamped on and denounced, it never was. Certain posters have been posting exactly the same way and party line for years.

IPSE members are clever enough to know that a line spouted frequently, no matter how un-official, is viewed as official. Lack of denial is acceptance by default in that scenario, if their management struggle to grasp that basic truth then they're even more out of touch than previously believed.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    And what is the IPSE official position?
                    My opinion of it? I don't think it has changed.

Pub time, I'll let you know what I think after a couple of pints

Comment

Working...
                    X