• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning as a contractor after voluntary redundancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning as a contractor after voluntary redundancy

Is anyone able to explain the potential tax and legal issues faced if the above happens? Is it basically impossible to prove that you are outside IR35? You can assume that the role would be the same both as permie and contractor and that the contract would be taken as an associate of another company who are already engaged with the customer. Many thanks.

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
    Is anyone able to explain the potential tax and legal issues faced if the above happens? Is it basically impossible to prove that you are outside IR35? You can assume that the role would be the same both as permie and contractor and that the contract would be taken as an associate of another company who are already engaged with the customer. Many thanks.
    friday to monday?

Comment

I should have also added that there is no advert or request for a contractor currently and there might never be one whether redundancy was taken or not.

Comment

Consider whether your redundancy payment (or part of it) should still be tax-free if you are going back in any form.

There is an obvious question as to whether the redundancy was in fact genuine (it is possible it could still be)

Edit: Even with the role being the same there is some limited possibility of being outside IR35. But it is a massive pointer to being caught. Your working arrangements would need to be considerably different. But say for example that you were undertaking it on a fixed price basis that could help. Also an actually exercised right of substitution. But I would get too optimisitc.
        Last edited by ASB; 10 August 2015, 11:32.

Comment

Isn't the OP's situation exactly the thing IR35 was brought in to police? Friday to Monday perm-contractors?
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            Isn't the OP's situation exactly the thing IR35 was brought in to police? Friday to Monday perm-contractors?
            That was what GB said in 1997 in his first budget. But turns out he was referring to every contractor - a couple of hundred thousand.

I reckon the OP will probably get away with it through law of averages. What percentage of contractors are actually investigated? And of that, how many do HMRC win?

Comment

If the role still exists for you to contract in then it's not redundant. IR35 to one side (I can't see how it wouldn't catch you) you're at risk of the redundancy payment being treated as income not eligible for the tax break.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                If the role still exists for you to contract in then it's not redundant. IR35 to one side (I can't see how it wouldn't catch you) you're at risk of the redundancy payment being treated as income not eligible for the tax break.
                The role will not definitely exist as a contract. It *may* become available *if* the subject of this query took a voluntary redundancy option.

Comment

this sounds like bread and butter ir35 material

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                    The role will not definitely exist as a contract. It *may* become available *if* the subject of this query took a voluntary redundancy option.
                    So, the role may suddenly reappear depending upon what you choose. In my view there is little scope that it is a genuine redundancy.

The instant you are made redundant there is suddenly a magic need for the role to continue to exist.

Comment

Working...
                    X