• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting to have regrets joining Clearsky Accounting!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wijay@WISAccountancy View Post
    Agree with Kenny..
    I wish there is an comparison website like money supermarket for accountants..
    There are a few comparison sites out there, just depends if you want to pay to be on them!

I prefer to build my practice through referral and word of mouth.....

My advice to the OP. Find an accountant who can offer you what you want, not what they want.

Comment

I am with Clearsky and have had no issues and they always respond quickly. Im paying the top rate and am happy to do so as I dont want to have to do ANYTHING! My wife was with SJD and didnt have a good time.

I cant be arsed to shop around and risk handing stuff over to a small high street firm who arent big enough to give me the feeling of security in terms of their knowledge and expertise in my sector.

I have a dedicated accountant who I can contact for any specific questions or info, alternatively the "team" I have been assigned can do the run of the mill day to day stuff and respond to queries pretty quickly.

As with anything, if you have personally had a bad experience then to you they are tarnished so probably best to go elsewhere.

Comment

Recently switched to intouch after a grim first 6 weeks with Brookson; intouch have been great and no regrets. They made the transition as smooth as they could given Brookson's foot dragging.

OP, get out now. Whether the first 4 months are free or not they appear to shown their true colours. That rate is far too high and the service far too low.

Comment

Unless I've missed it, no one has mentioned MSC legislation. The range of services being offered and the bundling seems to me to tip arrangements very close to that? Eg " Absolute minimum of admin – we do it all for you". Difficult to defend IMO.

I think OP would be better moving elsewhere, eg NW, SJD or InTouch. Better value, and more appropriate service.

Comment

Thank you for your advice so far....realised that I have well and truly been ripped off
            Nixon Williams have quoted me £100 plus VAT including using their registered office. They don't offer insurance or IR35 reviews, where can I get both insurance and IR35 reviews in one package and for the best price? I've noted that many contractors use QDOS and Abbey Tax, what would the price be for Prof Indemnity, Public Liability and Employers liability as well as IR35 reviews?

Comment

Originally posted by Debz View Post
              Thank you for your advice so far....realised that I have well and truly been ripped off
              Nixon Williams have quoted me £100 plus VAT including using their registered office. They don't offer insurance or IR35 reviews, where can I get both insurance and IR35 reviews in one package and for the best price? I've noted that many contractors use QDOS and Abbey Tax, what would the price be for Prof Indemnity, Public Liability and Employers liability as well as IR35 reviews?
              NW have good reports here, but have you spoken to anyone else?

Did you discuss your full expectations of the service? Or was it just about the cost?

Have you looked at the QDOS/Abbey websites for your answer, or called them?

Sorry Debz, it does sound as if you struggling due to an over-reliance on forum guidance and a reluctance to engage with with the professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                NW have good reports here, but have you spoken to anyone else?

Did you discuss your full expectations of the service? Or was it just about the cost?

Have you looked at the QDOS/Abbey websites for your answer, or called them?

Sorry Debz, it does sound as if you struggling due to an over-reliance on forum guidance and a reluctance to engage with with the professionals.
                I think you are making assumptions here. I have spent alot of last week speaking to different accountancy firms with regards to what they can offer me. If it was only about the cost I wouldn't have gone with Clearsky in the first place, it was about the service. Of course I always discuss my full expectations of the service which is what I did with Clearsky from the beginning and unfortunately it didn't go to plan.

I have looked at QDOS and Abbey and called yes. I was just looking to see if there are other options out there. I don't really think its fair to say I have a reluctance to engage with the professionals. I run my own company and engage with professionals on a day to day basis with my line of work so its pretty harsh to make that assumption. I was simply looking for advice/tips. I have and I am continuing to do my own research but any tips along the way are also useful. If you have nothing relevant to say then don't say anything at all. Not very newbie friendly some of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Debz View Post
                  I think you are making assumptions here. I have spent alot of last week speaking to different accountancy firms with regards to what they can offer me. If it was only about the cost I wouldn't have gone with Clearsky in the first place, it was about the service. Of course I always discuss my full expectations of the service which is what I did with Clearsky from the beginning and unfortunately it didn't go to plan.

I have looked at QDOS and Abbey and called yes. I was just looking to see if there are other options out there. I don't really think its fair to say I have a reluctance to engage with the professionals. I run my own company and engage with professionals on a day to day basis with my line of work so its pretty harsh to make that assumption. I was simply looking for advice/tips. I have and I am continuing to do my own research but any tips along the way are also useful. If you have nothing relevant to say then don't say anything at all. Not very newbie friendly some of you.
                  Well said; there are some really strange posters on this forum who feel compelled to judge and criticize newbie's and who don't like people asking questions and starting discussions. I don't get it; surely they have better things to do with their lives.....

The only providers that I know that bundle accountancy, insurance and IR35 reviews are:

1) Accountancy services from the industry experts... - Qdos Accounting

2) http://www.kbaccountancygroup.com/fees-lite.aspx?view=4

3) Monthly Accounting Packages - PaperRocket Accounting

and of course:

4) Assure Accountancy Package | ClearSky Accounting

However the big problem with bundling is that it is usually more expensive than buying separately, e.g. crunch (accountancy) + hiscox (insurance) + the law place (ir35 review) - great VFM!

Comment

Originally posted by JB3000 View Post
                    Well said; there are some really strange posters on this forum who feel compelled to judge and criticize newbie's and who don't like people asking questions and starting discussions. I don't get it; surely they have better things to do with their lives.....

The only providers that I know that bundle accountancy, insurance and IR35 reviews are:

1) Accountancy services from the industry experts... - Qdos Accounting

2) http://www.kbaccountancygroup.com/fees-lite.aspx?view=4

3) Monthly Accounting Packages - PaperRocket Accounting

and of course:

4) Assure Accountancy Package | ClearSky Accounting

However the big problem with bundling is that it is usually more expensive than buying separately, e.g. crunch (accountancy) + hiscox (insurance) + the law place (ir35 review) - great VFM!
                    Much appreciated JB3000, that was very helpful. A full package is more attractive to me as it includes insurance too, just makes it easier for me also. Qdos Accounting looks decent from what they are advertising and cheaper too but still looking at other options and working out whats best for me in terms of service. Again its the service Im looking for its not all about costs.

I thought forums are for general support and advice and especially for newbies like myself they can be very useful. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge many contractors have on this forum....but if you are going to criticise me then please at least give constructive criticism. I just think certain people get on their high horse and start making assumptions about less experienced contractors, newbie bashing just ain't cool at all. Weren't we all newbies at one point? No need to shoot me down just because Im a newbie.

I do understand people getting annoyed with questions being asked before and not using the search facility on here. I do understand people get annoyed if no prior research has been done after all being well informed is the very first step in doing well as a contractor. However making assumptions to say that I have not did any research, not speaking to professionals is just snobby and presumptuous. Anyway lets keep this to the topic please and not quibble.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                      Most firms are clear on their fees. Clearsky among them. There's a price comparison page on their website showing 3 service/fee levels. The OP chose the most expensive. A comparison website would have made no odds.
                      Yes Alan you are correct. I did choose the most expensive. I made that decision but as I keep on emphasising it was not about the cost. I was expecting a bespoke service for that price. Its nothing to do with comparison websites. I've just had a bad experience so I'm disappointed as they did promise a tailored service but I guess sometimes you don't know what you will get until you try it.

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      I am with Clearsky and have had no issues and they always respond quickly. Im paying the top rate and am happy to do so as I dont want to have to do ANYTHING! My wife was with SJD and didnt have a good time.

I cant be arsed to shop around and risk handing stuff over to a small high street firm who arent big enough to give me the feeling of security in terms of their knowledge and expertise in my sector.

I have a dedicated accountant who I can contact for any specific questions or info, alternatively the "team" I have been assigned can do the run of the mill day to day stuff and respond to queries pretty quickly.

As with anything, if you have personally had a bad experience then to you they are tarnished so probably best to go elsewhere.
                      Lucky you. I also chose the top package also because of the all inclusive package and the fact that I wanted to get to grips with whats expected with being a company director whilst I actually traded. Once more comfortable then I could start doing a few things on my own as I get more experienced.

Originally posted by arby View Post
                      Recently switched to intouch after a grim first 6 weeks with Brookson; intouch have been great and no regrets. They made the transition as smooth as they could given Brookson's foot dragging.

OP, get out now. Whether the first 4 months are free or not they appear to shown their true colours. That rate is far too high and the service far too low.
                      Thank you for your reply Arby. It wasn't really about the first 4 months free, thats not why I went with them. As with all accountancy firms you don't know what you have signed up for until you actually receive the service. But yes....the service is far too low for what I am paying and I wouldn't have signed up if I knew this. I am in the process of dealing with this.

Comment

Working...
                      X