• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench Time

Continuing on our quest to give HMRC facts and figures about the world of contracting - would you be able to give me an idea of bench time between contracts?

I am attempting to demonstrate that the comparison between a permanent worker and a contractor when trying to promote 'fairness' in the tax system is misguided

Really appreciate your help guys
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

I think for me it's an average of around 3-4 months with the longest being 9 months
    Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
      I think for me it's an average of around 3-4 months with the longest being 9 months
      It may be worth adding average contract length as well...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I'd say an average of around 9 months contract length...
        Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Good idea...

I often have smaller contracts (such as a small website or some such) running concurrently with a main contract so in this instance I refer to bench time as being time out of a main contract.

For me contract length is typically up to 2 years. Typical bench time is 2-4 months but that does usually include holiday time of 2-3 weeks.

The inference from successive governments is that as a collective we seem to be able to walk straight out of one contract and into another with an endless supply of contracts to choose from... I only wish it were that easy.

Comment

Average time for me is about 6 months but this is skewed with quite a few 3 monthers and one for a couple of years.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Average contract length since starting is around 9 months with 3-4 month gaps in between. Longest unbroken bench time was 14 months, partially voluntarily since my mother was ill, but have had a couple of highly involuntary six month breaks. I have always budgeted on working 7 months a year and that has help up pretty well since 1996.

Also need to be mindful of what people do. For example, while programming and ops are long-term activities, I mostly do process design and improvement and/or transition management; I don't expect to go back to a job once done since that would mean I hadn't done it right the first time!
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I spent all of 2008-9 on the bench. That hurt. A lot.

Up until then, I have usually only had a gap if I chose to have a gap. The market seems to have died quite significantly though so I expect to have gaps pretty much every time now.

Last gap was 5 months. Given the previous break, I was much better prepared this time around.

Comment

Contract length typically 9 months, up to 2 years. Gap is usually around 4 months, but sometimes is 0 months, the longest was 12 months.

Comment

Longest time on the bench was one month.

Client #1 - 3 months contract, secured a new contact with Client #2 in last few days. Had a week off.
                    Client #2 - 18 months, several renewals. Month spent on the bench after this.
                    Client #3 - Rolling monthly contract, was approached by a former employer Client #4.
                    Client #4 - Here till New Years eve at the moment !

Comment

Working...
                    X