• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Cater Allen changed the way to send one-time payments with a reference?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Cater Allen sound rubbish. Why do people recommend them? No instant transfers, no mobile app, this... is their rep based on backhanders and commission?
    Pretty much, but none of us knew this when signed up as that's typically when we're incorporating and wet behind the ears.

I've been looking at other banks, but I don't really see the point in handing over a monthly fee and I typically deplore banks anyway.

Comment

I emailed them this week about this as it's seriously annoying, especially when it comes to making HMRC payments as the payment reference field is used to put in your unique payment ID. This has resulted in a number of similar looking payees/payments setup on my account.

Their response basically pointed out that all their changes were made to bring them inline with European Banking Authority regulations. I must have missed the bit where the EBA mentioned that people should no longer be able to amend the reference field on a per payment basis. They also mention that they've received lots of feedback and are currently reviewing it. My guess is nothing at all will happen about this.

Comment

The only reason my co. is with Cater Allen is because the accountant said they are the only bank with which they'd have the ability to view my statements/transactions without me having to send them statements each month.

Is it true that there aren't other banks that allow this?

Yes I thought their internet banking was bad enough compared to the great online service my personal bank gives and this business with references has made it go from bad to worse.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
          ...I've been looking at other banks, but I don't really see the point in handing over a monthly fee...
          Haha : "apart from free banking what have Cater Allen ever done for us"...

Boo

Comment

I ignored this thread as I couldn't see what the fuss was about.

How wrong was I?

I went to make my quarterly PAYE payment last night and I couldn't change the reference. How crap is that?

On the plus side, thank goodness it was CA and not the likes of HSBC, Barclays etc. I rang up to see what was going on, and after perhaps 6 rings I was speaking to a nice lady in the North East of England who explained everything to me.

The new process may be rubbish, but at least I could get through to talk to a human in a reasonable amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              On the plus side, thank goodness it was CA and not the likes of HSBC, Barclays etc. I rang up to see what was going on, and after perhaps 6 rings I was speaking to a nice lady in the North East of England who explained everything to me.

The new process may be rubbish, but at least I could get through to talk to a human in a reasonable amount of time.
              Would agree with you on the customer service side of things, one of the best I have dealt with!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
                I emailed them this week about this as it's seriously annoying, especially when it comes to making HMRC payments as the payment reference field is used to put in your unique payment ID. This has resulted in a number of similar looking payees/payments setup on my account.

Their response basically pointed out that all their changes were made to bring them inline with European Banking Authority regulations. I must have missed the bit where the EBA mentioned that people should no longer be able to amend the reference field on a per payment basis. They also mention that they've received lots of feedback and are currently reviewing it. My guess is nothing at all will happen about this.
                I phoned up and put in a complaint about this too, the ability to change the reference seems to have disappeared now.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                  I ignored this thread as I couldn't see what the fuss was about.

How wrong was I?

I went to make my quarterly PAYE payment last night and I couldn't change the reference. How crap is that?
                  Same happened to me on 21 Oct, except I couldn't add a new payee as I had not registered my mobile phone number, by the time I did that I missed the daily cutoff time for transfers and for safety had to do an immediate transfer out of my own personal bank account so as not to miss the payment deadline for HMRC :-(
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Everyone - contact Cater Allen and COMPLAIN!!!

So here I am abroad and need to make the HMRC payment with a new reference number. I have a local SIM in my phone and am tethered through it to access the internet. So to change my reference I need to make the change on CA site, get off the internet, change SIM to my UK one, wait to get the code, switch SIMs again, get back on internet....

Right pain. And it was bad enough when I was back in the UK - especially if I had littel or no mobile signal.

There is no security reason whatsoever that means you can't change the reference per transaction. ALL the other banks I use do it.

So - COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN COMPLAIN to C-A - and they might do summat about it.

Comment

Natwest only lets you change the reference by editing the payee first then making the payment. This also can't be done at all on mobile, and worse - any payment you initiate from mobile gets stamped with "Call ref. 0000" as its reference only (thankfully the recipient sees the real reference code, but it's crap for your own statements)

2 years of free banking are up soon. Has anyone else noticed that Yorkshire/Clydesdale (same bank) do free business banking for switchers? Any downsides?
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X