• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The survey on the HMRC Consultation regarding Travel Expenses is up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    The important thing is to come up with actual, identifiable cases that show that it's bad for freelancing.

Anything else is just going to be discarded as anecdotal evidence, but if you can show that you spend 30% of your turnover on travel and subsistence then they cannot argue that there is no evidence to disprove their allegation.

The more people that are prepared to put their hands up and say "this hurts my business in this specific way" the better.
    Do that and they probably come to investigate you!

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
      No.

The consultation doesn't ask for specific information to identify you or your business. This is just scaremongering and will put people off taking part.

Please dont do it.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        The important thing is to come up with actual, identifiable cases that show that it's bad for freelancing.

Anything else is just going to be discarded as anecdotal evidence, but if you can show that you spend 30% of your turnover on travel and subsistence then they cannot argue that there is no evidence to disprove their allegation.

The more people that are prepared to put their hands up and say "this hurts my business in this specific way" the better.
        Exactly
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
          Even if that were true, and I don't believe it is, that's why I have representation in place to ensure that if HMRC come knocking I have experts on hand to deal with the investigation.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
            Anyone??
            Info here. https://www.ipse.co.uk/policy/travel...nce-tax-relief

Comment

I had an IPSE Press officer contact me today about my response to their survey. He was interested in pushing the effect on the end clients. He wanted some more background information and also if I would be interested in talking to some journalists.

I don't mind talking to IPSE but not sure about journalists. They'll want to talk to my client and I don't want to jeopardise my relationship with my client.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipSmartGrope
                You know its nice to see someone creating a fuss but lets be honest, its all rather pointless as HMRC do have a valid argument. think about all those full-time employees who pay full tax v's savvy contractors who pay less than 15% overall tax.
                Savvy contractors pay more than 15% tax, because they don't want HMRC knocking at their door when the dodgy "scheme" they've been using gets found out.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipSmartGrope
                  You know its nice to see someone creating a fuss but lets be honest, its all rather pointless as HMRC do have a valid argument. think about all those full-time employees who pay full tax v's savvy contractors who pay less than 15% overall tax.
                  Clearly it wasn't "rather pointless" as LtdCo contractors, operating outside IR35, were removed from the scope of the legislation.

Comment

Working...
                  X