• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is every invoice treated as profit??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies. I understand few things but still not very clear.

Say I paid £100 from my personal account for an expense. Then I claim it from my ltd company and that offsets each other. So far so good.

Now my company invoices the client for £100 + VAT. Client pays my company £120. Company pays VAT of £20 (little less as on flat rate) to HMRC. Now if the company has to pay £20 as Corp tax, isnt the company making a loss of £20?? Had I not incurred this expense, then my company would have been better off by £20? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks
    Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nick1122 View Post
      Thanks for all the replies. I understand few things but still not very clear.

Say I paid £100 from my personal account for an expense. Then I claim it from my ltd company and that offsets each other. So far so good.

Now my company invoices the client for £100 + VAT. Client pays my company £120. Company pays VAT of £20 (little less as on flat rate) to HMRC. Now if the company has to pay £20 as Corp tax, isnt the company making a loss of £20?? Had I not incurred this expense, then my company would have been better off by £20? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks
      Nick
      You are missing the fact that the company paid you £100, when you claimed the expense back. That "reduces" profit (and therefore CT tax) by £100, or £20 of tax. So it is net zero effect on the companies tax position (excluding the VAT amounts).

Comment

Originally posted by Underbase View Post
        You are missing the fact that the company paid you £100, when you claimed the expense back. That "reduces" profit (and therefore CT tax) by £100, or £20 of tax. So it is net zero effect on the companies tax position (excluding the VAT amounts).
        Ah, I get it now (finally)!! I can now see that others have also tried to say the same thing. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
        X