• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency terms restriction of Trade ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eggnchips View Post
    Thanks for the comments, the agency have around 50 or so contractors on site and they say that they are all paid on the same basis, she also said that she had spoken direct to the hiring manager who will use another candidate. its obviously their prerogative but I walked out of the interview knowing that I had a start. The sad thing is that its about 20 minutes from home and an ideal job, for personal reasons I don't have reserve funds to see me through to the end of the calendar month for July
    Well your call, of course, but that seems a pretty thin reason for not taking an otherwise well suited gig...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks for the comments, the agency have around 50 or so contractors on site and they say that they are all paid on the same basis, she also said that she had spoken direct to the hiring manager who will use another candidate. its obviously their prerogative but I walked out of the interview knowing that I had a start. The sad thing is that its about 20 minutes from home and an ideal job, for personal reasons I don't have reserve funds to see me through to the end of the calendar month for July
      So now you need to find a new role that is going to pay you weekly, starting next week.

Good luck with the search.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Nice advert for IPSE...
        Ge 'em in when you can

I'm not entirely sure what I wrote above that was "rubbish". Credit checking any agency is due diligence. But even if they're exceedingly credit worthy, if the contractor feels that weekly payments are paramount, that's what he feels. Personally, if there was little risk, I couldn't be bothered with the extra paperwork.

You've also "rubbishly" not considered that not using the agency isn't exactly without problems.
        OK, I was a little harsh. But if the OP has been contracting for 12 years and can't manage to go three weeks without pay for whatever reasons, then I don't think the agency is all that relevant.

Just have to see who blinks first. If you want, you could reply saying "Agree to weekly billing or lose the contractor". In combination with what eek said, that should do the trick, since the agency turning away a client's preferred candidate and therefore risking potentially thousands would indeed be extremely stupid.

Your choice, your risk.
        Well looks like that's what's happened. All a bit sad, really...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well done for have the balls to walk away from a contract

You are a dumbass for running your company to such an extreme that your cash flow is that bad, something in a months time, is better than nothing next week!
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            No, rubbish. It's all about risk management. Do a credit check on the agency, if they are stable and profitable then monthly is an acceptable risk, if they've got fourpence in the bank then probably shouldn't use them anyway.

But turning away several 10s of £k business for no real reason is stupid And if you're that worried, IPSE+ membership will cover the additional risk
            You really are an arrogant arse most of the time, but on this occasion you've topped your usual astounding standards. You really do need to get over yourself, that or take a long walk off a very high roof and see if your superiority enables you to levitate.

It's not just the commercial risk, but the cash flow situation and the willingness of the contractor to deviate from their usual terms. Payment terms is most definitely a "real reason".

Will you please stop pushing IPSE membership as a universal panacea, it isn't.

Comment

What a sad state of affairs all round.

OP, can you not recover the situation with the agency?

Can you get a personal loan to tide you over the next month? A Directors loan from the company? Surely you must have some reserves in the company for VAT, CT, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                You really are an arrogant arse most of the time, but on this occasion you've topped your usual astounding standards. You really do need to get over yourself, that or take a long walk off a very high roof and see if your superiority enables you to levitate.
                And you are in a position to judge...? On what basis?

It's not just the commercial risk, but the cash flow situation and the willingness of the contractor to deviate from their usual terms. Payment terms is most definitely a "real reason"
                If you've been gigging for 12 years and can't survive three weeks without income then you're doing something badly wrong. Walking away from a paying gig for that reason is more than ridiculous.

Will you please stop pushing IPSE membership as a universal panacea, it isn't.
                No it isn't, but it does close off the financial risk of the agency not paying you, which I thought was relevant.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Quite a gamble that you assume you can get something else that will start quickly, and pay weekly.

What happens at end of July if you have nothing?

Is your credit rating screwed? Could you not get a 0% on purchases credit card to tide you over for a month, ask your bank to give you a mortgage break for a month etc?

Also, if your finances are that bad that a few weeks will cause you serious trouble, you need to consider going permie and getting things settled.

Comment

The agency then were not trying it on, the policy is reasonable, and you didn't stand a cat in hell's chance.

I'm with Mal on this one. Grief - pawn your car and live off the proceeds until the money comes in, then buy it back. It's hardly rocket science.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I call sockie!

Comment

Working...
                      X