• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunch as a business expense.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch as a business expense.

Afternoon,

I almost dread to ask but I have had a google and found nothing conclusive...

Last week I took a couple of the clients staff out for lunch to discuss a project that we are working on in a more informal setting, it didn't come to much (£50ish) and I paid it on my personal card and didnt think anymore about it until earlier today when I was doing my end of month expenses.. Does anyone think that there would be a problem with classing that as a valid business expense/client entertainment?

Its probably going to be a one off... so if I cant have it as an expense its hardly the end of the world... Too small a matter to bother the accountant with...

Anyway, Thanks in advance.

Could class as business entertainment.

No CT relief but a you can claim a refund for the expense from your company.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post

I agree, that's the sensible approach, it's also true in the context of what you described.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post

Great, Thanks.

Comment

I knew one contractor who religiously collected lunch receipts and claimed them, even the 89p (subsidised) coffee.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I knew one contractor who religiously collected lunch receipts and claimed them, even the 89p (subsidised) coffee.....
            i sit next to that guy, he even takes my receipt if I paid more for my lunch than he did on a day

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              If it's a valid business expense, then to not claim it is daft. Look after the pennies etc.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Weekday Lunch near where you work is ok, but a Cheeky Nando's with your mates Saturday Night may be questionable.

Comment

nando's is questionable full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    If it's a valid business expense, then to not claim it is daft. Look after the pennies etc.
                    I have to admit I can never be arsed to keep hold of all my coffee receipts etc. I just claim for lunch and leave it at that.

Comment

Working...
                    X