• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Urgent advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent advice needed

Hi,

First post here and I need some advice urgently.

I decided to make the jump to contracting back in April. Had set aside 3 months cash in hand to cover the transition and did everything by the numbers.

I got offered my first position in Birmingham at a lower day rate than I was hoping for but it was a 12 month contract and I had a friend with a spare room in Coventry (20 mintue train ride to the office) so it looked like a good way to get started.

I was due to start work on the 24th of May pending SC clearance which was due to take 6 weeks from the date I signed the contract.

The 24th of May came and went and I was not able to start work as the clearance had not been completed. This was to be expected. By the time we hit the 6 week mark I was starting to panic. I have now been contacting my agency daily with the same answer of "we should know next week". About 8 weeks after the first contract came out I finally got my actual SC forms, discovering that the initial information pack I had submitted was just pre screening from the end customer.

My SC application is now in progress.

2 weeks ago I then received another email saying that they would now like me to work in Bracknell instead of Birmingham. I cannot afford my flat and the hotel costs in a London priced area at the day rate they are paying so I have pushed back and said that I cannot accept the new contract. I have only been told that the project will not be supported from Birmingham but will now be supported from Bracknell, but I have not received an answer to my refusal to sign the new agreement.

I have now been offered another contract in Sweden who need me to start ASAP. I have also been told that if the project is supported from Birmingham my original contract stands, but I have not received a countersigned copy of the contract I submitted.

I basically need to know where I stand legally. If I take the Sweden job and the original contract comes back to say I would be working in Birmingham as planned, am I going to get sued.

I'm in a really tough situation as the money I had put aside is now all gone and I need to start working yesterday to make ends meet.

Should I take the Sweden job and sack off this other one? The Sweden job need an answer ideally this weekend.

Sorry for the long post, it's just a stream of consciousness coming out of me and I've doubtless missed some details.

I'm grateful for any advice you can offer.

Cheers.

you wont get sued, take the swe job

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      you wont get sued, take the swe job
      +1

Comment

Seems straight forward, take the Sweden one.

Comment

Take the Sweden job. Make sure you terminate the original job. What does the contract say about notice period?

Comment

Make sure the rate for the Sweden one is around £800 a day too, it's one expensive place...

Comment

You have no SC and no indication of when or even if you will get it.

The Client has changed the terms of the contract, you've made your position clear. Ball is their court to resolve it.

Take the Swedish job assuming you can get the logistics sorted (travel, accommodation, tax arrangements etc). Accept it subject to contracts being agreed.

If/When the first client comes back with a new offer you will be in a position to make a proper decision. Don't be rushed by verbal promises, insist on getting commitments in writing. If they don't, or you are still not happy you still have the Swedish job lined up.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I had similar issues earlier in the year, waiting for a waiver for me to start until they got my clearance transferred. No contract or start date forthcoming. I took another role as the money was starting to run out...

Comment

First of all, the OP doesnt have a contract for 12 months. The contract is as long as the notice period and even then, if they use MOO, you're offsite as soon as they say you're gone.

Second, never put up with a situation where the start date is 6 or so weeks in the future. The future start date frequently slips and you're just left signed up but frightened to go for something else that might be a quicker start.

Third, I find it weird a newbie can turn down the contract in Bracknell but jump at the one in Sweden when they seemingly have no idea of local costs.

Fourth, some contracts contain a clause that if you sign and then jump ship, you will have to pay the agency a stated amount. It depends whats in the contract so people saying he wont be 'sued' might not strictly be right.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

To be honest he/she probably doesn't fancy the idea of the coppid beach. I wouldn't have thought Bracknell would have been too expensive in reality though...

Comment

Working...
                    X