• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caunce O'Hara Legal Expenses Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    <offtopic>IPSE membership in the name of an individual isn't a valid expense. IPSE membership in the name of the company is a valid expense.</offtopic>
    <even-more-off-topic>I don't think companies can be members of IPSE, can they? And there are personal benefits that would probably fail any "wholly and exclusively" test?</even-more-off-topic>

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      I looked at this - there seemed to be very little detail about it on their site at the time.
      It was much cheaper than IPSE membership.

However, I think someone (eek?) made a comment about IPSE's cover being provided by "people who know what they're doing", which seems pretty important to me - IPSE have a track record (see batcher's posts for a comparison to other services) so I'm happy to put my peace of mind in their hands.

The IPSE cover includes a lot of other benefits - see https://www.ipse.co.uk/member-benefits
      That's why I was wondering if anyone had any experience of it. B&C know what they are doing and mention the Caunce O'Hara cover on their site, and Caunce O'Hara have details here and testimonials on their site:
      http://files.caunceohara.co.uk/pdf/das_wording.pdf

On the other hand DAS don't have a particularly good reputation and I guess they organise the non-HMRC side of the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by FiddlersGreen View Post
        <even-more-off-topic>I don't think companies can be members of IPSE, can they? And there are personal benefits that would probably fail any "wholly and exclusively" test?</even-more-off-topic>
        Yes they can, and I doubt they would fail.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

They can't fail Without the company you wouldn't need any of it, ergo they are wholly and exclusively business expenses. The jury service cover, for example, is not protecting your income, it's protecting YourCo's income in the absence of the usual fee earner.

I think you need to understand the difference between You and YourCo a little better...

Also, take a look at this and compare it to the other offerings.
          Last edited by malvolio; 9 June 2015, 11:43.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            They can't fail Without the company you wouldn't need any of it, ergo they are wholly and exclusively business expenses. The jury service cover, for example, is not protecting your income, it's protecting YourCo's income in the absence of the usual fee earner.

I think you need to understand the difference between You and YourCo a little better...
            I understand fine, thanks

The core benefits are company oriented - some of the newer ones (Advantages, for example, or certain parts of Futures) could be construed as a personal benefit of the company membership. Which is why I said "I doubt they would fail".
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              I think you need to understand that snide throw away lines like this aren't helpful to your argument.

HTH BIDI

Comment

One important difference in the cover seems to be the basis on which they will pay the attendance time - IIRC, IPSE will pay based on the contract rate, whereas this one pays based on salary. Clearly the two are very different values.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Looks like it should be OK

https://www.ipse.co.uk/futures/ipse-life-assurance

Originally posted by IPSE
                  Life Assurance premiums can normally be paid by your limited company

In general, provided that the sum insured is not excessive your company can pay Life Assurance premiums and deduct them as a cost against corporation tax. Life Assurance premiums are not taxable as a benefit-in-kind and there will be no further tax to pay from either the company or the individual.

Comment

It might be out of date but check point 23 and follow the link, and then 2.2:
                    https://www.ipse.co.uk/terms-and-conditions

Comment

It might be out of date but check point 23 and follow the link, and then 2.2:
                      https://www.ipse.co.uk/terms-and-conditions
                      The Articles can't be out of date by definition...

Anyway, you join as a person - it's reasonable that IPSE know they are dealing with an individual freelance contractor (as far as they are able to) - but the coverage is provided to YourCo since that is the legal body that is under threat from HMRC's predations and who will pay the bills should you lose a case. YourCo can (indeed should) pay for the membership and everything is geared around YourCo.

And as I said, you personally wouldn't need any of this if YourCo didn't exist and/or you weren't working as a self-employed gun for hire, which is why it is not a personal benefit.

There are 23k members now; none have ever been challenged over the status or scope of their membership.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X