• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting - train vs car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I have the balls to do that ^!

My commute options are

15 min walk from home, 1 hr train (with one change), 5 min walk to office

Or

Drive and park at office 50 mins on a good day, 1.5hrs + on a bad day.

For me, stress of driving in commute traffic and risk of getting caught in big jams means train is better option for now.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalUser View Post
      Admin - please can this be moved to general (for the sake of the OP).

OP - do you need someone to wipe your a$$ too?
      Spot on! Anyone asking this sought of question really should go back to permie!

Originally posted by cityben View Post
      Hi All

I'm new to contracting but found this forum's advice invaluable so far - so thanks!

I'm in my first contract which is about 35 miles from where I live. I'm just trying to figure out whether it's best for me to commute by car or train. I know this has been asked before but I can't quite figure out which is be better off doing with regards to expenses or 45p per mile is get back and having to pay for up keep of car. Obviously some will come from expenses and corp tax can't be charged and if car some will go to me but will probably go towards maintenance.

If I get train weekly/monthly pass it'll be about £14 per day.

My car is 1.6 petrol so probably not very economical.

I'm leaning towards train although it means commute is about 20 mins longer and I have to get up earlier!

Any advice appreciated

Cheers
      Think you've mistaken us for mumsnet!

Really!?

Next question, am I better staying away in a tent or B&B?
      Last edited by BolshieBastard; 13 May 2015, 19:30.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Zzzzz! I had a query and thankfully some answered with useful advice.

It was a query to see what others with more experience than I, I'm sure you fit into that, would be able to offer advice on.

It wasn't a question only about preference, although that feedback is good too. It was also about what is the best option financially.

Thanks for your time though

Comment

Zzzzz! I had a query and thankfully some answered with useful advice.

It was a query to see what others with more experience than I, I'm sure you fit into that, would be able to offer advice on.

It wasn't a question only about preference, although that feedback is good too. It was also about what is the best option financially.

Thanks for your time though
          Financially you may save a few quid at 45p a mile compared to the cost of the petrol and tyres...

Train wise you expense the cost of the ticket you buy. As such cost is really utterly irrelevant
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I don't think I have the balls to do that ^!

My commute options are

15 min walk from home, 1 hr train (with one change), 5 min walk to office

Or

Drive and park at office 50 mins on a good day, 1.5hrs + on a bad day.

For me, stress of driving in commute traffic and risk of getting caught in big jams means train is better option for now.
            Not suggesting you do lol.

yep train.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Option 3: get a motorbike and ride in!

no need to worry about traffic jams or busy trains when you've got a bike, all you have to do is keep an eye out for the half asleep moron in the car who is going to kill you (hello to the guy who pulled out on me last night without looking )

Comment

Originally posted by slatt View Post
                Option 3: get a motorbike and ride in!

no need to worry about traffic jams or busy trains when you've got a bike, all you have to do is keep an eye out for the half asleep moron in the car who is going to kill you (hello to the guy who pulled out on me last night without looking )

Do you get changed at work or just travel in your smart gear? I never feel comfy riding for more than 15 - 20 minutes with my shirt on underneath. I have just picked up some new gear, though - so maybe I'll give it a whirl.

I actually brought my bike down to the hotel for a few weeks last month while they were doing road works, though - that was great.

Comment

Option 3: get a motorbike and get knocked off and killed!

As you said!
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Do you get changed at work or just travel in your smart gear? I never feel comfy riding for more than 15 - 20 minutes with my shirt on underneath. I have just picked up some new gear, though - so maybe I'll give it a whirl.

I actually brought my bike down to the hotel for a few weeks last month while they were doing road works, though - that was great.
                    I pretty much always get changed at work unless the job is really close, but how often does that happen!

As you say, any relatively short journey and you can get away with the shirt on too, but you do tend to turn up a little more crinkled than everyone else, which doesn't always look totally professional

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      As you said!
                      As I really said

all you have to do is keep an eye out for the half asleep moron in the car who is going to kill you

Comment

Working...
                      X