• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

S455 query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S455 query

I took a director's loan for £5,000 last year which is due to be repaid by end May (i.e. within 9 months 1 day of year end of the period during which the loan was taken). It will be repaid with personal cash.

I also took a further £5,000 loan a few months ago, but during this current fiancial year which I will repay out of profit at year end.

My question is this - does the S455 corporation tax charge apply only to the year now due? So that as long as I repay the original £5,000 I won't be due any S455 despite having a further £5k still outstanding?

Logic says this is the only way it could work...?

With thanks

NLUK standard reply, auto complete.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Surely you just treat each loan independently and apply the rule to each? Problem is if you keep taking them like this it could start to look like you are bed and breakfasting using one to roll the other over and carry it on. HMRC will try argue the loan is never being repaid and will try tax it as income.
      Also i dont understand the bit about paying the company loan back with company profits? You mean declaring a dividend but not drawing it?

IMO take loan when you need it, pay it back and have done. Keep rolling them over time after time doesn't look good and although it might be genuine you may end up with HMRC on your back asking to explain which is something you don't want whatever the situation.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also you are removing a useful tool to help you fix minor problemss at year end as you can't use the DL to roll something over the tax year so could end up paying more tax on something than you are saving with the loan.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Correct s455 only applies to the amount due in the first year. Best to double check timings with your accountant to be certain.

Comment

Working...
          X