• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE Futures email

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    Fair enough, but it's easy to get on the CC and actually change Ipse if you have the gumption to do so
    That's cork in fact. If you make any complaint about the PCG you will be kicked off the forums and will have no platform for election to the CC. The PCG is a kickback merry-go-around, look at the iProfiles fiasco for example.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      That's cork in fact. If you make any complaint about the PCG you will be kicked off the forums and will have no platform for election to the CC. The PCG is a kickback merry-go-around, look at the iProfiles fiasco for example.

Boo
      Bollocks. Has never happened.

And I think you mean "cock"...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post

Boo
        What do you mean by

'The PCG is a kickback merry-go-round'

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

And all the services offered by IPSE are cost neutral (or return a profit of their own) or they don't start. They are never funded from members subs.
          I never said members' subs were being used to fund these services; I'm aware that the situation is quite the opposite. There must be a fair amount of income from agreeing to hawk wares from Aegon, L&G, Krispy Kremes, etc, which I hope is making the annual subscription cheaper.

My preference would be for IPSE to be more expensive and not engage in hawking of said wares; if I felt I didn't have sufficient marketing material in my life to I would sign up for Quidco.

And I still don't understand who this new breed of member is, who is apparently competent to run a business (or at least an FLC), but feels aggrieved at the loss of the "benefits" of permanent employment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
            I never said members' subs were being used to fund these services; I'm aware that the situation is quite the opposite. There must be a fair amount of income from agreeing to hawk wares from Aegon, L&G, Krispy Kremes, etc, which I hope is making the annual subscription cheaper.

My preference would be for IPSE to be more expensive and not engage in hawking of said wares; if I felt I didn't have sufficient marketing material in my life to I would sign up for Quidco.
            As long as members subs aren't at risk, how else should IPSE fund its very wide-
            ranging activities in terms of lobbying, member support, education and legal backup across a host of disciplines? It's not like they're selling anything that is unrelated to being a freelance contractor, after all.

And I still don't understand who this new breed of member is, who is apparently competent to run a business (or at least an FLC), but feels aggrieved at the loss of the "benefits" of permanent employment.
            They're not you, clearly, they aren't costing you anything and support for you and representation to HMG of the things that affect you remain unchanged, so why worry about it?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

As long as members subs aren't at risk, how else should IPSE fund its very wide-
              ranging activities in terms of lobbying, member support, education and legal backup across a host of disciplines? It's not like they're selling anything that is unrelated to being a freelance contractor, after all.

They're not you, clearly, they aren't costing you anything and support for you and representation to HMG of the things that affect you remain unchanged, so why worry about it?
              Because these are people who want to have their cake and eat it; they are uncomfortable with being self-reliant, but want the tax advantages of incorporation along with the bulltulip that goes with permanent employment. It is these people who are responsible for the rise of the FLC, the confusion about Agency Worker Regulations, and ultimately IR35. Having worked at a big corporation before, I never regarded the "employee discounts" thing as a "benefit"; it's really a way for big companies (and now IPSE) to
              • Monitise their internal email list
              • Encourage their employees to spend so much on worthless tulip and "experiences" that they have to work for "the man" until they drop dead

I knew fully well when I set out on my own that I was sacrificing the chance of a 10% discount at the Harvester in exchange for the freedom to work or not work as I saw fit; it seems this is a trade-off too far for the "new breed" of independent professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
                Because these are people who want to have their cake and eat it; they are uncomfortable with being self-reliant, but want the tax advantages of incorporation along with the bulltulip that goes with permanent employment. It is these people who are responsible for the rise of the FLC, the confusion about Agency Worker Regulations, and ultimately IR35. Having worked at a big corporation before, I never regarded the "employee discounts" thing as a "benefit"; it's really a way for big companies (and now IPSE) to
                • Monitise their internal email list
                • Encourage their employees to spend so much on worthless tulip and "experiences" that they have to work for "the man" until they drop dead

I knew fully well when I set out on my own that I was sacrificing the chance of a 10% discount at the Harvester in exchange for the freedom to work or not work as I saw fit; it seems this is a trade-off too far for the "new breed" of independent professional.
                No, they're not. they are freelance workers of all kinds who are affected by the same idiot problems that you and I face every day, but who have been ignored or who did not believe that PCG as was aligned to their needs. A good example are Interim Managers, who thought they were somehow above IR35: the IIM is now working closely with IPSE to undo that false perception since, if anything, the average interim is far close to being inside IR35 than anyone.

And as I said, as long as your protection is in place and effective, why do you care who else seeks that same protection? I don't accept your view that we are somehow superior to a free-standing webbie or an artisan baker, or exist in osme other legal continuum; at the end of the day we all choose not to have an employer. That should be sufficient.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  OK, I'll throw myself in the lions den here but... **** it....

What are peoples opinions on the IPSE Futures mail? I haven't asked my account, I've not done any research and I am a ******* moron. I just don't normally have much to do with the IPSE stuff. Just pay my yearly sub and that's it so wondering if this is another offering that many companies do where you can find better if you go get it yourself?

Any of it worth looking at or speaking to an FA about it?

I normally get a lot of flack and generally am happy to do so. On this occasion could we stick to the offering as I am sure I am not the only one wondering about this?
                  There are certain things that are worth taking professional advice about - for example, I wouldn't be looking at the pension plan without chatting to my guy first.

Pension - I already have

Life assurance - I already have, but I might have a look and see if it looks good. Chances are with my medical history it'll be as bad as anywhere else, though.

Private health - that's the one that I might be interested in, but I haven't had it for 5 years, when I did have it they were pretty useless, so I doubt I'll bother.

So it makes very little difference to me, but I cannot see what all the fuss is about - if you don't want to use the services, don't use them. It's quite simple.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    If you join the AA and don't like them, what do you do?

a. Bang your head against a brick wall or
                    b. Tell them to bog off and give your money to RAC or Green Flag.

Which is easiest?
                    Well in that scenario, you have a choice because there is a competitive market.

If you aren't happy with IPSE, then where do you take your membership fees? FSB???

Also, the AA doesn't speak for all motorists as a lobbying organisation - and whether you like what they say or not, IPSE are involved in discussions with the political parties and HMRC, so I'd rather be on the inside trying to influence something about what I think is important than on the outside moaning that they aren't listening to me.

It's kind of like the British view of the EU versus the French view. The British see EU legislation coming and spend three years whinging about it; the French see EU legislation coming and spend three years putting the effort into making sure it works for them.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Bollocks. Has never happened. ...
                      Of course it never happened. And of course the PCG never sent round a questionaire, at huge expense, asking members' opinions on outsourcing the members' directory (can you spell iProfile ?). And of course the returns from those questionaires were not uniformly hostile (surprise !). And of course a member of the CC was not, basically, asked to wipe the anticipatory drool off his face and go and cool off somewhere whilst the egg dried.

But as you say, Malvolio, "Has never happened". Or something.

Boo
                      Last edited by Boo; 23 March 2015, 10:12.

Comment

Working...
                      X