• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency excessive margin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make no mistake i'm not defending the agencies, just noting that there is nothing that we can do about it. The ones who can force the change are the clients, the smart ones are demanding fixed margins and/or transparency and enforcing them, i know that my current ClientCo does. It's not that hard if they care, unfortunately the process is often handled by the Human Remains departments and we all know how stunningly "efficient" they are.

And how do you know that the client is ignorant about the 20% margin? They might be very well aware of it. As for our side of the deal, our contracts are with the agency, what are the terms of the agency contract with the ClientCo shouldn't concern you.

Anyway, whining about pay is for permies

Comment

They will try it on sometimes. Had this one pimp call me after did the interview saying the client wanted me but another interviewee had dropped their rate to make them self more desirable and would I consider doing the same?
      Told them strait up I'm not lowing my rate and if they want they can pick the cheaper guy.
      They picked me but I knew it was a ploy to increase their margin.

Comment

I never thought it would be BB I ended up agreeing with in a thread like this, but I do.

No wonder contractors aren't considered proper businesses with that kind of approach.
        Last edited by d000hg; 13 March 2015, 12:28.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I never thought it would be BB I ended up in a thread like this, but I do.

No wonder contractors aren't considered proper businesses with that kind of approach.
          Could we have that in English please?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            That's what I put. You've just changed it to make me look stupid. You cad!!!!
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Contracting must be one of the few if not the only profession when 'margins' are deliberately and wilfully withheld from people (contractors) enabling them to make an informed decision.
              I am struggling to think of any professions where the margins are open?

Lawyers = nope
              Accountants = nope
              Healthcare = nope
              Plumbers, Sparkies & Builders = nope
              Retail = nope
              https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by workitout View Post
                I have just discovered that my agency is netting 25% on my daily rate. I have never experienced such sharp practise in my 10 years of IT contracting. Do I have a legal leg to stand on? As I am hoping to challenge them on what I believe to be extortion.
                Define 'excessive'? And I don't mean a number - I mean what makes a number excessive?

And I'm not sure you undertsant what the word 'extortion' means. But fwiw, my man on the inside reckons 12-14% is typical (large IB).

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  Define 'excessive'? And I don't mean a number - I mean what makes a number excessive?

And I'm not sure you undertsant what the word 'extortion' means. But fwiw, my man on the inside reckons 12-14% is typical (large IB).
                  And really this should be a number not a percentage. 12-14% of 250 a day is acceptable or 12-14% of 600?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    And really this should be a number not a percentage. 12-14% of 250 a day is acceptable or 12-14% of 600?
                    I have reason to suspect that he meant 12-14% of 450-500 ish, although he didn't specify. Those seem to be typical dev rates in the city as far as I can tell (maybe slightly under), but as I don't know what the OP does I suppose it's not particularly useful!

Comment

Large IB is significantly lower than 12-14%.
                      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                      X