• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working practices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working practices

As guidance here How to deal with an HMRC IR35 letter :: Contractor UK says "Consider seeking client confirmation of the day-to-day working practices" I am thinking of getting my client to sign the working practices while still doing the contract. Where can I get a sample of working practices? What needs to be there?

Qdos - http://www.qdosconsulting.com/docs/d...s.doc?sfvrsn=2

IPSE have one as well (IIRC), but I don't have the link handy and I don't know if it's available to non members.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Another example:

http://www.bauerandcottrell.co.uk/do...nfirmation.doc

Some argue that the contract should provide sufficient detail to render a CoA moot and potentially risks a conflict between the two, but I personally think it adds colour.

Remember: 1) it needs to be signed by someone that is familiar with your working practices, not some random person from HR or procurement; and 2) to retain evidence of your working practices.

Comment

Hmmm. I do wonder how many clients when asked this will think:-

1) WTF is this?
        2) I cant be arsed with all this.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I had a CoA signed by the manager in the department I worked in, basically saying I worked on my own without any direction and control from him. HMRC just ignored it and went to the HR department to get them to answer the closed questions to confirm my guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            I had a CoA signed by the manager in the department I worked in, basically saying I worked on my own without any direction and control from him. HMRC just ignored it and went to the HR department to get them to answer the closed questions to confirm my guilt.
            Yes, they'll do whatever it takes to build a case. However, it's important to remember that their best case may be (very often is) crap, so the CoA may help at a later stage.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Yes, they'll do whatever it takes to build a case. However, it's important to remember that their best case may be (very often is) crap, so the CoA may help at a later stage.
              Do I understand it right that HMRC investigators have a 'traffic warden' mentality and will do whatever it takes to milk it for all its worth anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Hmmm. I do wonder how many clients when asked this will think:-

1) WTF is this?
                2) I cant be arsed with all this.
                All of mine

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
                  All of mine
                  Not far off here either. Had two signed in the past but it's not the norm. Getting the right person to sign it so it will actually stand up is a challenge as well.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wouldn't even try to put one of those docs in front of someone unless I thought the terms contained were so guaranteed as to make it pointless anyway

Will instead rely on the fact that I have to buy my own coffee to get me out of IR35!
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X