• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ammending submitted accounts to show profit??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    The question is whether the payment was a divi or a dl. If it was a divi you can't undeclare it. If it was a DL and you mistakenly declared it as a divi (aye, right) then you might have a shot at amending your accounts. Amending accounts isn't illegal. Amending a payment from divi to DL is. You'd need to amend your divi voucher and meeting minutes as well. You do have those don't you?
    Well if it was genuinely a DL then one would hope not.

However I have to agree with the others that amending the accounts this way (legitimate or not) would be asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by SJT
      Well turns out there were funds owed to the Director at the year end that can be offset against the shortfall in the shareholders' fund, so don't need for a DL. Wouldn't this be what should have been done in the first place?
      You really don't know why you are talking about do you? I would recommend finding another accountant and learning the basics about running a business asap before HMRC take a closer interest in you....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SJT
        Well turns out there were funds owed to the Director at the year end that can be offset against the shortfall in the shareholders' fund, so don't need for a DL. Wouldn't this be what should have been done in the first place?
        You can't go back and change history. Well you can but you may end in jail....

Look change accountants to one who makes you do your own invoices and book keeping. Then you will know when you are allowed to take a dividend and when you can't. You will also be more aware of what expenses you can and can't claim plus why. That way you won't end up in this mess again.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And if you want to be spoon fed Crunch are reasonable accountants and will give you a very easy to follow screen that shows you exactly what is happening and what you can and can't do...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SJT View Post
            I was after a new mortgage and it was soon brought to my attention that my last year's accounts were showing a loss (well the shareholder funds were showing approx £1500 deficit) which the mortgage company takes as a loss and therefore will not lend.
            SJT
            Bit confused with this bit. Your accounts shouldn't be showing a loss if you've made a profit during the year and distributed it as dividends?

Sounds like neither you nor your mortgage company know the difference between a loss and a liability?

Comment

Originally posted by SJT
              As a man in a big hat once said "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

If there were excess funds owed to the director it'd show on the BS as a liability so would have no impact on the BS value.

Comment

Can't you have the sales accrued into the correct accounting period?
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by SJT
                  These were the accountant's words.. actually
                  So not only are they rubbish accountants but their English is pretty damn poor as well.
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

SJT, it's obvious that you're not using a mortgage broker from what you are saying. Each lenders criteria differs when it comes to assessing affordability based on accounts. Some lenders will only work on your physical drawings and others will use your net profits. The majority of lenders also want to see a positive capital account e.g. The assets must outweigh the liabilities. Virgin Money go even further by taking into account your net current assets.

If you're a contractor working on a day rate, then you can also be assessed on your contract rate, avoiding the need to submit accounts.

John Yerou

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                      Can't you have the sales accrued into the correct accounting period?
                      Only if you are Tesco or Enron.

Then you do it by the billion.

Comment

Working...
                      X