• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I claim back tips/gratuities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I claim back tips/gratuities

If I ever tip for a company meal I'll normally just leave my own cash separately, but the other day I accidentally wrote my room number in the "Tip" section of the receipt. I scribbled it out but they still put a couple of quid through

Can anyone confirm/deny whether I can just sling it through with the rest of the hotel bill?

My accountant said to ask CUK and my Google Fu is clearly not up to this.

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    If I ever tip for a company meal I'll normally just leave my own cash separately, but the other day I accidentally wrote my room number in the "Tip" section of the receipt. I scribbled it out but they still put a couple of quid through

Can anyone confirm/deny whether I can just sling it through with the rest of the hotel bill?

My accountant said to ask CUK and my Google Fu is clearly not up to this.
    If you add a tip to a bill so that it is part of the receipt then I don't see why not but I don't think you could make a claim for tax relief on a cash tip - how would you evidence the cost??
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I have on occasion put through tips as part of any subsistence claim if I've paid for the tip by card. What normally happens is the main receipt excludes the tip (unless its added to the bill) and the card receipt backs up the total cost.

That's not that I'm saying you should or shouldn't claim it, just that I'm not going to worry either way about the odd few quid here and there as part of my overall subsistence claims. Sometimes I've claimed it, sometimes I haven't.

As Lisa says, if its a cash tip you don't have any receipt but if you're staying in a hotel anyway, why not just consider it covered by your £5 incidental overnight payment?

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        If you add a tip to a bill so that it is part of the receipt then I don't see why not but I don't think you could make a claim for tax relief on a cash tip - how would you evidence the cost??
        Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        I have on occasion put through tips as part of any subsistence claim if I've paid for the tip by card. What normally happens is the main receipt excludes the tip (unless its added to the bill) and the card receipt backs up the total cost.

That's not that I'm saying you should or shouldn't claim it, just that I'm not going to worry either way about the odd few quid here and there as part of my overall subsistence claims. Sometimes I've claimed it, sometimes I haven't.

As Lisa says, if its a cash tip you don't have any receipt but if you're staying in a hotel anyway, why not just consider it covered by your £5 incidental overnight payment?
        Thanks both, appreciated. I should have probably been clearer - I just meant I'll pay for it out of my own pocket and won't bother claiming it.

Comment

For a couple of quid!? Really?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            For a couple of quid!? Really?
            It appears on the weekly invoice, which is paid for using my corporate card. I know now that I don't need to worry about it, but if there was some weird rule about it then I'd have had to have paid it, declared that few quid as something else and then reimbursed the company.

Comment

If you were working in the USA it would become worth knowing for sure, or anywhere else where a tip is considered mandatory for that matter. Many restaurants in the UK automatically include a 10-12% gratuity these days as well.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                If you were working in the USA it would become worth knowing for sure, or anywhere else where a tip is considered mandatory for that matter. Many restaurants in the UK automatically include a 10-12% gratuity these days as well.
                If its on the bill then I don't think there's any question over including it in your claim.

Comment

I would claim it. In fact, I frequently do.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X