• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happens to debts when you die?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Someone reads my posts! Wow!

Great spot Sir. Definetly joint tenants. I got the land registry doc.
    Ok, mrs bp has access to the funds as a result of being joint exec. If she starts disbursing them before dealing with the debts she is in trouble.

the bank have written off a cc debt,; in writing I assume, so that is at least that one dealt with.

the balance appears to be catalogs and store cards.

they could, if they felt it likely to be beneficial, attempt to obtain the relevant order to attack the jont tenancy.

If the executors explain the position they might play ball.

but if they dont be very careful. Executors owe a duty of care to creditors. Insolvency legislation does cover bankrupt estates. Proffessional executors would probably just hand it over to an insolvency practitioner.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

Ok, mrs bp has access to the funds as a result of being joint exec. If she starts disbursing them before dealing with the debts she is in trouble.

the bank have written off a cc debt,; in writing I assume, so that is at least that one dealt with.

they could, if they felt it likely to be beneficial, attempt to obtain the relevant order to attack the jont tenancy.

but if they dont be very careful. Executors owe a duty of care to creditors. Insolvency legislation does cover bankrupt estates. Proffessional executors would probably just hand it over to an insolvency practitioner.
      Understood.

It is interesting that Bank1 have not even attempted to recover their credit card debts. They just paid out the money. I am not sure if store cards will ever find out about this. If they do its only a few quid they can recover.

I wonder if there is a case where creditors attempted to challenge a joint tenancy? Even if they did, the best they could get would be a charge on the property(new owner is 85 and in bad health). But imagine what the media would make if they got hold of the story! They would lose millions in reputation.

Mrs BP is not going to lie to anyone. The debts are about £15k in total. Largest creditor about £7k. Fees would probably eat that straight away. So I reckon they will have to whistle. But lets see. I will keep everyone updated.

Comment

Bp,

A number of credit agreements contain provisions for writing off on death. This was very common with credit cards. It could be the case here. But the point is moot. It has happened.

you may find it beneficial to look up insolvency administration order.

it may be prudent for the executors to apply for one.

There are plenty of cases of people chasing joint assets for settlement. But would a store card for a couple of grand. Dunno, seems doubtful.

general advice for executors of a bankrupt estate (and I looked this up rather than it being based on the couple of solvent estates ive done) seems to be to apply for insolvency administration order and to negotiate with creditors where there are assets but they are outwith the estate.

it seems to me they can probably be told to go whistle. But if they are going to get really pushy and drag it out pushing up costs some sort of compromise against the survivor's estate might be appropriate.

Comment

It is interesting that Bank1 have not even attempted to recover their credit card debts. They just paid out the money.
          Any chance the Bank had sold some kind of PPI that also covered death? I may have been cheaper for them to settle the debt on the quiet rather than having you try and claim back thousands in PPI

I'd also try to check if any insurance was attached to the other debts

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie252 View Post
            Any chance the Bank had sold some kind of PPI that also covered death? I may have been cheaper for them to settle the debt on the quiet rather than having you try and claim back thousands in PPI

I'd also try to check if any insurance was attached to the other debts
            I passed straight onto Mrs BP - very interesting.

BTW the MOL had a bond to pay for the funeral. There was some spare change left over. The creditors can whistle for that too....

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

Just to add, it is possible for an executor of an insolvent estate to be found personally liable for the debts of an insolvent estate if the distribution (such as it is) is not handled correctly. You can get some good info and template letters on this site and some more general info on potential personal liability here.

Hope that helps.
              The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Bank 2 done and dusted.

credit card with 4500 debt
                current account 50 debt
                savings account 5000

Bank 2 said they wanted the 5000 to pay the debt. Mrs BP asked for the money for funeral costs. This is allowed (just as well they did not know about the funeral fund elsewhere!).

After that they looked at the 5000. It was in joint names. So automatically goes to the survivor. Turns up to be his funeral fund anyway.

Dead easy this. Pun intended....

Comment

I nearly forgot to update the thread.

All the store cards got their credit via one company. They have accepted that they will whistle for the debt.

Bank3 also agreed to cancel all the debts and to transfer credit money direct to MrsBP. They then sent a letter saying that the person in branch gave her the wrong forms to fill in. MrsBP has sent them a stroppy letter back comparing their behaviour to bank1 and bank2.

Did I mention that her mother left loads of decent furniture and jewelry?

mother-out-law played a blinder there - I am well impressed. Hopefully these institutions might learn that you should not just put credit about willy nilly. Serves them right.

Comment

I nearly forgot to update the thread.

All the store cards got their credit via one company. They have accepted that they will whistle for the debt.

Bank3 also agreed to cancel all the debts and to transfer credit money direct to MrsBP. They then sent a letter saying that the person in branch gave her the wrong forms to fill in. MrsBP has sent them a stroppy letter back comparing their behaviour to bank1 and bank2.

Did I mention that her mother left loads of decent furniture and jewelry?

mother-out-law played a blinder there - I am well impressed. Hopefully these institutions might learn that you should not just put credit about willy nilly. Serves them right.
                    Just one last thing, it might be best to keep hold of any documentation in regard to the estate and the like around for a couple of years just in case these "debts" end up anywhere else...

It's rare but not unheard of for closed accounts to get sold on erroneously and having the documents to show it was written off by the original creditor will be the easiest way to resolve it.
                    The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Goodness, a three page thread and nobody has fallen-out, NorthernLadUK has not waded in all guns blazing.

Must be a first

Comment

Working...
                      X