• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mileage receipts or HMRC rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage receipts or HMRC rate?

Hi All,

New agency at a client I have been working at is demanding fuel receipts for business related travel .

Is this normal? In all my years contracting I charge the standard HMRC mileage rates as I don't have a company car and a fuel receipt cannot be split into personal and business mileage.

Advice appreciated.

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
    Hi All,

New agency at a client I have been working at is demanding fuel receipts for business related travel .

Is this normal? In all my years contracting I charge the standard HMRC mileage rates as I don't have a company car and a fuel receipt cannot be split into personal and business mileage.

Advice appreciated.
    Ask them to quote the HMRC regulation that they are attempting to comply with. I am sure they will come back with a load of rubbish. At the same time ask the HMRC helpdesk what the procedure is and then quote that at the agent.

What does the contract say in respect of evidence to support expenses? That is the key really.
    Last edited by tractor; 20 January 2015, 19:28.

Comment

I'm not sure this is a tax issue so much as a contract one.

What does contract say on expenses?

Comment

LIMITED COMPANY CONTRACTORS:*To validate your expenses for payment you must also submit an electronic expense form on xxx system for your Manager to approve.

Complete your expense submission on xxx system, the expense section is located in the same place as your timesheet

Once you select ‘Expense Report’ you will be taken to the expense page to complete the following mandatory fields;

Upload to xxx system all supporting receipts, a copy of your invoice (and a copy of appropriate authorisations for any travel in one attachment, your manager will then need to review before approving your expense claim.)*

Your Manager will then be notified by email of your expense submission and directed to xxx system to approve.

Once your Line Manager has approved your expenses on xxx system you payment will be processed.

Comment

Erm, well it does say "Upload to xxx system all supporting receipts", which arguably means they are applying the contract.

But what does the expenses thing say about mileage - what rate? A rate per mile, or actual fuel used (which would be highly unusual),

If says a rate per mile, or refers to HMRC rates, then fuel receipts as well lacks sense.

As a thought, have you either (a) got a non clued up minion at agency who doesn't understand this or (b) a one-man-and-his-dog agent pretending to play with the big boys? Have you tried escalating?

Bottom line, the agency are being dicks, so stand your ground.

Comment

It doesn't mention anything about mileage specifically

Comment

technically, you could create your own mileage receipt on yourco headed paper and submit that
              Join IPSE

Comment

Lol I might just do that but will it wash?

Comment

I'll pick this up.

Lol I might just do that but will it wash?
                  No, it's paper. Tends to go all shreddy on you when you wash it.:beer:
                  Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

LIMITED COMPANY CONTRACTORS:*To validate your expenses for payment you must also submit an electronic expense form on xxx system for your Manager to approve.

Complete your expense submission on xxx system, the expense section is located in the same place as your timesheet

Once you select ‘Expense Report’ you will be taken to the expense page to complete the following mandatory fields;

Upload to xxx system all supporting receipts, a copy of your invoice (and a copy of appropriate authorisations for any travel in one attachment, your manager will then need to review before approving your expense claim.)*

Your Manager will then be notified by email of your expense submission and directed to xxx system to approve.

Once your Line Manager has approved your expenses on xxx system you payment will be processed.
                    Is that a quote from the actual contract, or just a procedural note by the agency?

Comment

Working...
                    X