+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 63
  1. #11

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,829
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    41
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borderreiver View Post
    Red line. Never do this. Ever. And if you do, you're also making life more difficult for the rest of us.
    ^^ This

    They are putting these clauses in because idiots are accepting them - and the more that accept them, the more it becomes a "standard clause" until eventually it becomes a "take it or leave it" clause across the industry.

    I am happy to accept liability - if they accept me as a sole trader. If they insist on me using a LtdCo - then it's Limited Liability - end of.

  2. #12

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    26,334
    Thanks (Given)
    1138
    Thanks (Received)
    936
    Likes (Given)
    4265
    Likes (Received)
    3780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    ^^ This

    They are putting these clauses in because idiots are accepting them - and the more that accept them, the more it becomes a "standard clause" until eventually it becomes a "take it or leave it" clause across the industry.
    It's more likely that people don't read and don't understand their contracts before signing them.

    How many times on here have we been asked what a specific clause means when a contractor is facing difficulty?

    Edited to say: If the agency says it's their standard contract and they can't alter it then talk to the client.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  3. #13

    Banned


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066
    Thanks (Given)
    184
    Thanks (Received)
    117
    Likes (Given)
    222
    Likes (Received)
    531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's more likely that people don't read and don't understand their contracts before signing them.

    How many times on here have we been asked what a specific clause means when a contractor is facing difficulty?

    Edited to say: If the agency says it's their standard contract and they can't alter it then talk to the client.
    Very true, many won't understand or even try to understand the clauses, others will put trust in the agency acting in a way that favours the contractor which is plain silly. As we all know agencies will always favour themselves (they'd be stupid not to) and in truth they represent the client and not the contractors which some fail to get.

    "Standard contract" is simply an opening negotiating position if contractors are stupid enough to buy that line then they really shouldn't try to play with the grown ups.

  4. #14

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    What am I missing here I thought Giant was an umbrella company Can anyone explain?
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  5. #15

    Super poster

    tractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Berks
    Posts
    3,518
    Thanks (Given)
    171
    Thanks (Received)
    140
    Likes (Given)
    1316
    Likes (Received)
    766

    Default ...

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    What am I missing here I thought Giant was an umbrella company Can anyone explain?
    The OP is a bit sparse of info and it may be that the contract is a direct except for payroll services so they forced an umbrella on them. Have to wait for the OP to come back and answer that one.

  6. #16

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tractor View Post
    The OP is a bit sparse of info and it may be that the contract is a direct except for payroll services so they forced an umbrella on them. Have to wait for the OP to come back and answer that one.
    But the OP refers to 'myco'??? This is all very confusing - let's see what he comes back with
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  7. #17

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,838
    Thanks (Given)
    369
    Thanks (Received)
    1233
    Likes (Given)
    3564
    Likes (Received)
    3088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 20years View Post
    I'm after a bit of advise, I've been contracting for 20 years now, and this is my first request for advise.
    advice
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  8. #18

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,838
    Thanks (Given)
    369
    Thanks (Received)
    1233
    Likes (Given)
    3564
    Likes (Received)
    3088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    What am I missing here I thought Giant was an umbrella company Can anyone explain?
    http://www.giantgroup.com/precision-unlimited.aspx

    Giant Precision is a different part of the group.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  9. #19

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    13
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Sorry for the lack of info in the original post. Its giant precision, which is a different part of the giant group.

    This has nothing to do with umbrella's etc.

    Just for clarity this is your typical 'traditional' contracting arrangement. I am director and 100% owner of ltd company, Giant precision are the 'agency' in this case.

    Giant precision want me to personally act as guarantor for my co, such that giant precision can hold me personally liable for any losses incurred with no upper limit on the cost or any limit on the date when they can try to hold me liable.

  10. #20

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 20years View Post
    Sorry for the lack of info in the original post. Its giant precision, which is a different part of the giant group.

    This has nothing to do with umbrella's etc.

    Just for clarity this is your typical 'traditional' contracting arrangement. I am director and 100% owner of ltd company, Giant precision are the 'agency' in this case.

    Giant precision want me to personally act as guarantor for my co, such that giant precision can hold me personally liable for any losses incurred with no upper limit on the cost or any limit on the date when they can try to hold me liable.
    Thanks for the clarification but I am still not sure - who is your B2B contract with? What is Giant's function in this - are they acting as accountant and agency or just agency?
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.