• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being referred to as an "Agency Worker"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being referred to as an "Agency Worker"

Been on my latest gig for nearly 15 months now and out of the blue the agency sends me a load of tat to sign to make sure they are "fully compliant". Usual stuff of ID, VAT Cert, Cert of Inc, etc (plus two references..ha ha).

On top of this I have a 4 page document to sign that looks to me as if it should have been part of the contract and in every para it refers to me as an Agency Worker e.g.
    Each Agency Worker is obligated to assure their performance mets client's standards;
    Each agency worker must submit a timesheet;
    Each agency worker must conform to client's dress standards...you get the drift.

Obviously I do all of this anyway but being referred to as an "Agency Worker" doesn't sit right with me.
    To me, I'm a ltd company contractor providing a service to a client through an agency and I don't recall in my last 10 years ever being referred to as an Agency Worker.
    However, the last para does state "I further acknowledge that I am not an employee of ...... and will not represent myself to be an employee of ....whilst on assignement at ......

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it seems to be a bit of a pointless document since this is my second stint at this client and they know me pretty well.

Would you just sign it? Refuse to sign it or get them to amend the terminology?

I am opted out if that makes any difference.
    Blood in your poo

How long do you have to go in your current contract?

Surely you supplied them with your company details before you started 15 months ago? VAT, Cert of Inc., Bank Details, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
      How long do you have to go in your current contract?

Surely you supplied them with your company details before you started 15 months ago? VAT, Cert of Inc., Bank Details, etc?
      5 months left of a 3rd 6 month contract.
      I did...the agency has changed their name and is asking for it again!
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
        In which case tell them they already have all necessary information and if they don't you'll be reporting them to the ICO under the Data Protection regulations. Or you will be happy to provide the data again but will be invoicing them for time spent.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          In which case tell them they already have all necessary information and if they don't you'll be reporting them to the ICO under the Data Protection regulations. Or you will be happy to provide the data again but will be invoicing them for time spent.
          Sounds like a plan

They're even asking me for some clinical certification around drugs trialling (I had to google it!) that has bugger all to do with my job. They haven't a ******* clue what I do...
          Blood in your poo

Comment

lol sounds like they have been bought out by a florist or something.

Comment

Have they been bought out? Would worry me if they have changed their name and have done a phoenix

Comment

Why don't they do their own compliance work?

It's always baffled me why most agencies request a Certificate of Incorporation and VAT certificate. Why don't they just ask for the numbers and validate for themselves on Companies House and on VIES?

Not that I am questioning your honesty (or indeed any one else's on this board) but these documents can easily be forged so why not validate them against a free, reliable database that is a trusted source of the truth and not open to manipulation?

Comment

I've sent them the forms in the end (minus references of course).
                  Came back pointing out that the references were missing and client needed them (eh? 15 months into the job and the client is asking for references??)
                  Asked around Clientco.....guess what!
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

I've sent them the forms in the end (minus references of course).
                    Came back pointing out that the references were missing and client needed them (eh? 15 months into the job and the client is asking for references??)
                    Asked around Clientco.....guess what!
                    Tell them to foxtrot oscar.

Or you can be really kind and give them the names of the agencies you worked through.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X