• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Morgan McKinley cut my rate 3 times after Microsoft made an offer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frank Big Bird View Post
    A Microsoft representative has issued the following statement:

We have already spoken with Morgan McKinley regarding this once we became aware and we do not sanction their actions in any way. This has never happened before with any other agency we have worked with.

So it looks like it is 100% Morgan McKinley's own wrongdoings.
    You mean you contacted the end client and rubbished their preferred supplier?

Don't be surprised if you end up on the famous contractor grey-list....

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      No way. Find out the address of the head honcho at the agency then do the old bag of flaming dog poo on the doorstep trick to him.
      So far it is 5 vs 1. It looks like contractors here in the UK are accepting this behaviour and are resigned to not fighting back. I suppose fighting back has not been rewarding and is a waste of time here? Sad.

Comment

A Microsoft representative has issued the following statement:

We have already spoken with Morgan McKinley regarding this once we became aware and we do not sanction their actions in any way. This has never happened before with any other agency we have worked with.

So it looks like it is 100% Morgan McKinley's own wrongdoings.
        Was that the end of the statement?

No follow up along the lines of... "We were told you withdrew from contention, so we hired someone else"?

Comment

------------
          This is the full statement received.

Comment

------------
            This is the full statement received.
            In other words, "Look, just f-off and leave us alone".
            I'm Spartacus.

Comment

So far it is 5 vs 1. It looks like contractors here in the UK are accepting this behaviour and are resigned to not fighting back. I suppose fighting back has not been rewarding and is a waste of time here? Sad.
              Who do you fight? Do they care? Why should they care? Is there any chance of winning? Is there any protection?

Too many ICT's. Too much offwhoring. Too much freedom of movement for labour. Too much pennypinching by the client and too much money grabbing by the agent. Too many tiers of PMO/HR/Agent1/Agent2 etc. Contractors are a commodity. Get used to it.

If only a government would realise that if they removed much of the regulation for small contracting businesses, life would be a better place. No need for agents, only job boards, better negotiations with clients including better rates if you are good at it. When did an agent last negotiate anyone a better rate?

The only reason for all the rubbish legislation around the contracting business model is poor and ineffective company legislation and loopholes created and perpetuated by poorly qualified career politicians over several decades.

Thus it ever was, thus it ever will be.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                When did an agent last negotiate anyone a better rate?
                Current agent, I asked for £x per day, they said "I think I can get you £X+50".

First time that's ever happened.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  Current agent, I asked for £x per day, they said "I think I can get you £X+50".

First time that's ever happened.
                  There is always an exception to the ruler :P

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    When did an agent last negotiate anyone a better rate?
                    Two projects back, the agent told me to quote in Euros, which I did. They then converted that to pounds at a rate of 1:1.

Not really a negotiation, but they got me more than I was expecting when the contract arrived
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Did you have a mutually signed contract? Were you put out financially (you turned up at their door and were told then)?

No?

Then get over yourself.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X